Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FishBowl 1.3 idiosyncracies ... and reboot-proofing
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:44 pm GMT EstGMT 
I have just installed FishBowl 1.3 to monitor my STXR1500 ... works like a charm but I ran into the following issues:

* pre-setting the "lifetime value", which is displayed in kWh, must be done in Wh ... very counterintuitive ... maybe the field should be labeled "lifetime value [Wh]"?

* the inverter reports the lifetime value and the time on-line on the LCD, is there no way to read these values from the inverter itself instead of guesstimating them based on how long FishBowl has been running?

I am also aiming at making the system as maintenance-free as humanly possible, so I am trying to make it reboot-proof. Putting FishBowl into the StartUp does half the job, but what about the totals file and the lifetime energy log? Could FishBowl write a temporary file of power production etc. so that on startup it could check whether shutdown occurred in a controlled manner or in a reboot and, if is was a reboot, update the totals and the lifetime energy?

Rudolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:46 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Quote:
* pre-setting the "lifetime value", which is displayed in kWh, must be done in Wh ... very counterintuitive ... maybe the field should be labeled "lifetime value [Wh]"?

You are correct , the ini file stores in watt-hours

Quote:
* the inverter reports the lifetime value and the time on-line on the LCD, is there no way to read these values from the inverter itself instead of guesstimating them based on how long FishBowl has been running?

The Sunite is very limited timing wise on sending data ... So The Lifetime is not a value that is sent

Quote:
I am also aiming at making the system as maintenance-free as humanly possible, so I am trying to make it reboot-proof. Putting FishBowl into the StartUp does half the job, but what about the totals file and the lifetime energy log? Could FishBowl write a temporary file of power production etc. so that on startup it could check whether shutdown occurred in a controlled manner or in a reboot and, if is was a reboot, update the totals and the lifetime energy?

I can see where your comming from on this ... It get complicated trying to read full logfiles and thats why the features not there. For example , if the reboot crosses a day boundry , or the file is imcomplete it gets complicated FAST on how to handle all of this. Windows XP in general will run for a very long time , I've gone 6-7 months without issues , so with a UPS , it should be pretty good. If you auto reboot and restart fishbowl , at most , only the info for one day is lost