Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will not write out log files
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:56 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I just installed V1.8 per the guy at Xantex..... however when ever it tries to write the log files it seems to lock up my com port and not write the xls files. I'm using a new pc with vista and a bluetooth usb to serial port made by gridconnect. It displays all the inverter info in Gt-view

Any ideas? Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:09 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Did you selected a valid folder location for the log files? its in the options menu, click on the folder icon and select a location for the files to be written

I have never used a bluetooth serial port ... always used the usb->rs232 converters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:52 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

yeh I was using the default gt view directory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:11 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

yeh its fixed or yeh is not? ... I'd like to help but you need to be better at your descriptions :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:06 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

ricka wrote:
yeh I was using the default gt view directory

I 'd advise against the default GT dir, I use a flash drive, and let my laptop's HDD spin down.
I've made a directory structure on my flash drive, that looks like the dir structure on my web page, that way moving between the 2 seems much easier to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:42 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

NO is not fixed...... i was using the default gt-view directory to save the files...... I see the file names when I click the dir button in GT-view but no files are produced.

However I seem to be having problems with the seria interface right now..... seems like the bluetooth is dropping in and out. Maybe tahts the problem.

If I was to go to Usb - serial how far can I go..... I need to go about 125 ft to my computer.

Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:21 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

ricka wrote:

If I was to go to Usb - serial how far can I go..... I need to go about 125 ft to my computer.

Rick

USB is good for about 10', then you need a hub or repeater. RS232 is supposed to be good for hundred feet, 125' should be OK , at the data rate of the GT, IF you use good cables (shield, & twisted pair).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:09 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

ricka wrote:
NO is not fixed...... i was using the default gt-view directory to save the files...... I see the file names when I click the dir button in GT-view but no files are produced.

However I seem to be having problems with the seria interface right now..... seems like the bluetooth is dropping in and out. Maybe tahts the problem.

Rick

Bluetooth is only good for 10-20 ft ... so one would have to assume you already have the 125ft of rs232 wiring? ... RS232 can go 100's of feet at 9600 baud using cat5 wire .. so that won't be an issue

Since Bluetooth is wireless, its unknown if it delays and or packs data, both of which will cause GT-View not to work.

GT-View has about 3 years of feild use now, so if your having issues its your setup. I would suggest for starters ( for debug ) you bring the laptop out to the inverter and direct connect ... once thats working then add in the long cable and or Blue tooth device and see what is then the cause of your issues.