Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SMA: combining inverter outputs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:34 pm GMT EthGMT 
Can the outputs of two or more SB2500 inverters be combined in a junction box into a single set of conductors that then terminate on a single circuit breaker in the panelboard. Or must separate conductors be run from each inverter output to dedicated separate circuit breakers in the panelboard.

Post subject: combining inverter outputs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:06 pm GMT EthGMT 
NEC 690-64 addresses connection of photovoltaic power sources; NEC 690-64(B)(1) (which deals with load side connections) says "Each source interconnection shall be made at a dedicated circuit breaker or fusible disconnecting means."

I would read this as requiring a separate circuit breaker for each SB 2500, but I also think that a sub-panel with breakers for each SB could be used, if you really had to have a single 230v circuit run. Of course, the NEC also says that "... circuit breakers, if backfed, shall be identified for such operation" so you would need to think about this at both the main and sub-panels.

Sounds like you might have a long run planned, make sure you keep in mind the importance of a low grid impedance to the Sunny Boys & factor that into your choice of wire sizes.

-Roger [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:37 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

On my drawing, I put a sub panel as Roger suggested, and the boys behind the counter at city hall approved it. I think it's sensible. I hope the field inspector doesn't squawk about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:40 pm GMT EthGMT 
Do you feel the price of the sub-panel and three(?) breakers was less than the cost of a second run of wires?