Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:44 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: String Inputs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:39 pm GMT EstGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I'll be purchasing soon a system w/ 18 Sanyo HIT-190BA3 modules and a xantrex GT3.0 or GT3.3 inverter. Couple of questions:

The CEC rating according to the xantrex string sizing calculator shows 3024 watts. Is there benefit in going with the 3.3 inverter since it is not much more expensive and is slightly more efficient.

The calculator shows 3 strings w/ 6 modules per string. The inverter has inputs for only two strings. Is a combiner needed to combine the 3 strings into 2 (or 1).

I have seen posts stating that the Sanyo modules may be risky. Does anyone have any experience with them, good or bad, or is this just someone's "gut feeling"? I haven't been able to find any negative info about them, but now I'm concerned.

I would also like to add that this is an awesome forum. Thank you Guppy for keeping it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:42 pm GMT EstGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

http://www.sanyo.com/industrial/solar/index.cfm?productID=916

According to the Sanyo data sheet, they are spec'ed for 15 amps series fuse, what this means is the panels will handle 15 amps of current. The panels produce a maximum of 3.75amps , so this times 3 times 1.25 for NEC over current and you have 14.06 amps, so 3 parrallel strings looks OK

On the GT, I would just double-up wires on one of the input blocks, you will most likely using 10 or 12 wire (only 3.75 amps string) that will easily fit into the connection blocks. For this system you want the GT3.3 for sure, you have 3400 STC watts, which according to reports you should have no problems getting from the Sanyo's and at 95% efficency on the GT3.3 thats 3200watts+ AC

I have no first hand reports with the Sanyo's, my only concern is what happens to the Asi structure over-time. Every one who installs them rants about there power output, I have nothing to gauge this too, good or bad.

I've been burnt :evil: one to many times to run out and be the new kid on the block with a wiz-bang technology, everything points to the Sanyo's being what they claim, for my dollars I will wait a few years before plunking down 20K on panels for the only thing they offer is space savings, which has never been an issue in my installations