Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:57 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: How many ST2500 models are there???
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:39 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I started out with an ST2500 back in 2001. In 2002, Xantrex exchanged it for free with an STXR2500. The newer model is much, much better but have I missed out on yet another improvement? I see folks referring to an STXR2500UPG (upgrade) unit. My sticker only lists STXR2500 as the model number. If there is a third model, does Fishbowl work with an STXR2500 or am I SOL in that department, as well?

In any case, thanks for the wonderful support forum. It goes way beyond any info I've ever managed to shake loose from Xantrex.

Russ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:13 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

ST was the original release ( 2000 ), then the STXR(2002).

The UPG was my work and released Jan 2003 for a 100% field swap free of cost to any ST/STXR owner, Xantrex had this available for close to 9 months back in 2003

FishBowl will work with the ST/STXR, its explained in the manual for FishBowl, just remember you HAVE to use an opto isolator. Read thru the FishBowl postings, all the answers are there. One note non-upg units do not have DC current sense hardware, so array current and and efficiency reporting are disabled when a ST/STXR is monitored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:32 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Thanks for the quick response. I was never made aware of the UPG offer even though I'm registered at Xantrex. Guess they thought they had done me enough favors! I've already ordered the opto, that's why I got concerned when I realized I only had the XR model. Sounds like I'll get want I want out of the current rig and your software.

To pursue the UPG model furthermore: It sounds like the UPG model is a big improvment over the XR, which was quite an improvement over the older ST. Would it be an advantage to find and purchase a used/reconditioned UPG and keep my XR as a spare, or just move up to the newer string models. The reason I ask is that my PV layout is somewhat unusual. I have an "L" shaped house and the crook of the L is aligned to astronomical north/south. Since neither south facing roof area is large enough to hold all the arrays, I have half of them on the south/southeaset side and the rest on the south/southwest side. The shading differential between the two sides that occurs in the early morning and late evening does not present any problems to the XR. I've monitored it with a Dranetz power analyzer and, other than a brief boost in power when the second set of arrays wakes up, I get a nice smooth bell curve throughout the day. I worry that converting to a series string would cause me to lose power in the early morning and late afternoon. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:39 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Yes, if you can get a UPG ( will have a born on date of Jan 2003 or later )

it would work well with your current installation. You might give Xantrex a call and see if you can get you unit upgraded ( its all new electronics ) for a fee. Not sure if they do this any more but it would basically give you a new inverter (electronics).

Be VERY carefull buying Sunties on eBay ... most are the older models

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:50 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Sounds good. Since my rig is 5 years old and no longer supported, I wouldn't mind having a spare. I'll call the distributer that sold me my first one and see if he has any UPG's laying around he wants to get rid of (I don't do Ebay - too many horror stories). If that doesn't pan out, I'll try Xantrex.

I look forward to playing around with Fishbowl. Getting tired of coming home and checking and recording the stats from the remote monitor every night.

Thanks again for your terrific support and hard efforts. I hope you were adequately compensated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:50 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Ok, here is the latest word from Xantrex. They no longer offer the upgrades to the STXR2500 and want nothing to do these models anymore. However, they will sell you a new GT3.0 with a five year warranty for $999. They don't even want the old inverter back, just your serial number!

I'm very tempted to jump on this offer unless someone thinks my PV array setup as mentioned before isn't well suited to a serial string???

Thanks,
Russ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:49 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

The GT3.0 is an excellent inverter, As long as the shading can be

1) a separate parallel string OR

2) when modules are shaded the voltage is above 200 VDC (vmp)

Then it should be OK. You didn't mention your exact number of modules or number of strings in your previous post.

By the Way, GT-View is Free and doesn't need the opto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:53 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I started with the usual 6 arrays (24 Kyocera 120's) but rarely saw more than 1600Wpeak out the STXR2500 so I threw up another array to at least get 2KW. 16 modules are on the SSW leg of the L while 12 modules are on the SSE leg. I see from Xantrex's sizing tool that I could put up 4 more and run two separate 16 module strings, but that would be overkill. It looks to me like the GT wouldn't have much trouble waking up in the morning but might wink out a bit early in the evening. However, it should make more than enough juice in the middle of the day to make up for any losses at the beginning and end, at least compared to what I have now???

Ouch on the opto, that'll teach me to be a bit more patient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:20 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Split it 14/14 and you will be fine. You would only need to run two additional wires to achieve this.

I also think, if you add another 4 panels, you'll be OK ... typically panels only put out about 90% under the BEST conditions of rated STC ... that would be ~3400 STC DC watts and the GT3.0 is limited on the DC side to 3200 watts

FYI, you can just disconnect at the Suntie the array wiring and just wire nut the arrays into your two strings, no need to rewire all the panels

Hope all works out well for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:25 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Thank you! I think I will take the plunge and get another 4 panels while I'm at it. That should keep the system well balanced. It should also put me pretty close to 100 % of my needs. I hit 95% once in awhile until I fire up the pool pump, then I manage about 65 to 70%.

Wish I had found your forum sooner (I tripped across a link on Xantrex's web site). Sorry I missed out on the ugraded STXR - it sounded great.

Keep up the good work! Thanks again and I'll let you know how it all works out.

Russ