Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: GT 3.3 hitting max input
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:05 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

When I designed my system, I thought I was being conservative when selecting a GT 3.3 for use with my 20 Kyocera KC130TM solar panels (2600 watts total STC). Today, in temps of around -10 C, and scattered clouds, GT-View was announcing a couple of things I hadn't see before. In blue, it said "MAX POWER 3600" and in red it said "DC POWER LIMIT", or something similar. The DC power seemed to be limited to 3585-3590 watts dc. I know from the manual, the DC input limit is 3600 watts. So because of the snow reflection, cold temps, being mounted on trackers, and I suppose edge of cloud reflection, the array output was about 40% higher than the STC rated power. It was only being limited for a few minutes at a time, and would drop back slightly due to clouds. My question is, am I hurting the inverter in situations like this, or will the GT Inverter be OK.
Thanks
Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:20 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Inverter will be fine, I have run them for days on end at max power as part of the testing I did on the GT.

Tracker = more power
Cold = more power
Reflection off snow = more power
Edge of cloud = more power

What your seeing is couple of days a year thing and in energy harvest your not really missing much for a few minutes a day on the edge of cloud events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:39 am GMT EstGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I live at 44 North Latitude and right now the panels are about 30 degrees from the vertical. Would it be better to angle them more toward the vertical and try to pick pick up more snow reflection during the snow months or just angle them toward the sun on a monthly basis. My trackers are single axis only but are adjustable in the elevation manually. The thought is that the more vertical they are, the more power (up to max input) they'll harvest when snow is on the ground. On the other hand, there are many days when the snow melts and they would not be angled correctly for the sun's position. The other advantage of it being more vertial is that the snow would tend to shed more quickly. Any thoughts?
Best Regards
Al