Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:27 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: Installing Fans to keep the Heatsink Temps Down
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:43 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

I have an Fan going when the Heatsink temps on my GT3.8 Inverter gets to 113f to 127f degrees during the noon time. What I like to know is if anyone knows of a good Thermal Resistor that I can hook up to the Heatsink fins so that when they reach somewhere around 100f the fans can kick-on on their own.

Fred

Post subject: Re: Installing Fans to keep the Heatsink Temps Down
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:37 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Wennfred wrote:
I have an Fan going when the Heatsink temps on my GT3.8 Inverter gets to 113f to 127f degrees during the noon time. What I like to know is if anyone knows of a good Thermal Resistor that I can hook up to the Heatsink fins so that when they reach somewhere around 100f the fans can kick-on on their own.
Fred

It gets more complicated, the thermistor needs to run a control circuit, and that trips a relay to turn on a fan. I gave up, and just put a timer on my fan; a 40W mini-desktop osc fan. (photo on my website, inverter on wall, fan on shelf next to it.) I'm considering bending up some copper tubeing, clamp it to a couple of fins, and make up a passive radiator, instead of needing a fan. But that's a lot of work, and I haven't quite figured out the plan yet. My install went in the end of August, so I haven't gone thru a summer season yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:13 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

I have a nice 5 inch 120volt fan like the ones sold at Radio Shack, that Im just pluggin into the wall and it faces both heatsinks, what Im looking for is a Thermal Switch that I can place inside the fins of the Heatsink, the Thermal Switch connects to the fan. but now I like the idea of just hooking up the timer to my fan cord, I happen to have one of those too, I just have to find it. Something I can play with tonight.

Thanks

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:42 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

i'm not sure of how far all thermostats go up to in temperature, but you could use one if you also use a relay as thermostats are usually made for low voltages and not 110vac. it's not necessary to use the expensive digitals as you could use the cheap bimetal ones and mount it in such a way as to resist some of the true heat being emitted(like off to one side) thus delaying its switching until it hits a higher temp. the numbers can be rewritten on the dial face to indicate the new temperatures that are actually on the inverter fins. some experimentation would be needed to get it where you want it. or google other thermostats and see if you find one that goes into the temp range you want that will switch 110vac. these will probably have an external sensor which is better in that it won't block the cooling of the inverter.
the trouble with timers is that they go on when they aren't necessarilly needed or don't operate long enough when needed in real hot timeperiods or heavy use periods. the extra cooling is a good idea and certainly will help the inverter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:14 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/it ... 1611632361

Just place next to the GT, plug in a cheap desk fan and your done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:16 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Solar Guppy wrote:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611632361

Just place next to the GT, plug in a cheap desk fan and your done

Whoa ! "Switch Action Open on Rise" I read that as a need to have a DPDT relay controlled by the thermostat, and the relay would operate the fan. The thermostat is for controlling a heater !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:13 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

woops

low cost snap switch, but need box to cover wires

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/it ... Item=2E246

OR, just add a cord

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/it ... 1611790037

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:32 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Those are the switches I have been looking for, thanks !! Today I went to the Home Depot and found the Appliance Timer so I got it all wired and clean looking to the Fan... I have it set from 10am to 4pm, thats when it gets the hottest. Now temps are down to 83-85f degrees. I will play around with those Thermal Switches later when I get back from Vegas next week. The Appliance Timer is a quick fix for now until I find the time to play with those Thermal Switches.

Also I can use the GT-View to see where the Temps Peak so I can work on setting the timer to the correct times.

Thanks for the info

Fred