Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:29 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: Xantrex GT 3.8 Smoked
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:05 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Just wanted to let everyone know that one of my two Xantrex 3800 smoked two days ago, I went into the garage and noticed that one wasnt on, no red or green light, I turned it on and off and I could hear a frying noise coming from switch.

I contacted my Solar Company since the unit is about 13 months new and Xantrex will be shipping one ASAP and we will have it installed by Tuesday.

Check your serial number on your units, last two figures is 33. If you have a unit with last two numbers as 33, I wouldn't turn that switch on or off to prevent it from smoking.

The only thing I did different a few days prior was turned them both off because we had a power outage for about 5 minutes. I didnt want a voltage spike to damage anything when the power came back so I turned them off at the switch and also at the Breaker box.

After the power was restored, I hit both switches and also the switches under the 3800's and they both booted up fine.

Fred

Post subject: Re: Xantrex GT 3.8 Smoked
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:16 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Wennfred wrote:
Check your serial number on your units, last two figures is 33. If you have a unit with last two numbers as 33,

Thanks for the heads up.

Aren't the last 2 digits the ones that change the most frequently ? I'd think the leading letters & numbers that make up the lot / batch part of the ser num, would be the ones to look for.

When you turned them off in the days earlier, did you turn them off via the DC disconnect switch in the bottom, or via the AC breakers in your service panel ? The DC disconnect would still leave the unit attached to the grid.

Might want to post this info at
http://www.xantrex.com/forum/default.asp &
http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/index.php forums too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:28 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

The BOS switch turns off BOTH AC and DC Mike ...

Post subject: Re: Xantrex GT 3.8 Smoked
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:17 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

I did not know that, I thought the bottom switch only killed the DC, and with no DC, the unit "sleeps"

What does BOS stand for?

I thought I'd read somewhere, that in testing, they found the DC switch was only good for a limited number of cycles before it smoked. Something about it was an adapted AC switch, but it had a fin which helped break the arc. Or was I just dreaming that up ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:14 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

"Balance Of System" switch?

-Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:45 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

BOS is " balance of system", which is the term Xantrex used for the lower box on the GT ( which is removable ). For EU models, its ships without the BOS

The Switch is NEC 690 approved for both AC and DC disconnect, not sure of the cycle life, I'm sure it wasn't intended for anything more than use for servicing a unit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:48 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

The BOS Switch is pretty big and hold a grip load of wires, but to answer your questions, I turned the unit off first from under it and worked my way back to the A/C breakers etc. Then when I turned them back on I reverse the process, turned on the breakers and worked towards the inverters.

My Solar installer asked me about the last digits, he stated that the last 2 are either 33 or another two set of numbers so he knew. Maybe it could of been that he was looking at my specific work order and was looking at both serial numbers on paper. Thats probably it.

One last thing, make sure you have that BOS switch all the way over. meaning it can hang mid way. so 12 o'clock off and 3 o'clock on.

Either way, I'm not going to chance smoking another BOS switch and will just leave it in the on position.

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:07 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

My installer said it was best to first shut off the outside disconnect, before cycling the BOS switch. I have cycled it a few times for various reasons and the mechanics don't feel all that heavy-duty, like its not really designed for frequent use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:01 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

jza80 wrote:
My installer said it was best to first shut off the outside disconnect, before cycling the BOS switch. I have cycled it a few times for various reasons and the mechanics don't feel all that heavy-duty, like its not really designed for frequent use.

I'd heard also, to kill the AC, which forces the inverter Offline, and with no current draw, it was "much cooler" to switch the BOS switch (no arc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:28 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

That makes sense guys, thanks for the tip.

Fred