Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:24 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback: RFI Performance of FX2000 and MX60
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:55 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

This topic is being discussed on the Xantrex portion of the forum. I meant to bring this up in my comparisons with the SW5548 and the SB3048, but it slipped my mind.

Both of these products produce significant interference with television signals, particularly at lower frequencies like channels 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. Interestingly, the SB3048 only seems to create problems during the day! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I imagine both conducted and radiated emissions cause problems here, due to the fact that these units are attached to fairly long "antennae". Frankly, the new products from OutBack probably couldn't be much worse in this area, but I'm hopeful they are better.

I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts from OutBack on this issue, as it is certainly one factor that could limit the widespread acceptance of the technology they are selling.

Thoughts?

George

Post subject: RFI Performance of FX2000 and MX60
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:26 pm GMT EthGMT 
I know this has come up before but I'm having trouble finding references. It might be have been in a live conversation with one of the Outback folks.

I am interested in this because the PV system I have in my first house is exactly the configuration that you mentioned SW5548 (dual) and 6 SB3048s.

I can "watch" the SBs work during the day (fortunately I normally watched TV using a satellite setup). I originally left the covers off of the SBs (they were inside Trace Power module boxes) but I ended up putting the covers back on to try miminize radiated RF.

I also discovered one of the doors to the power module boxes was not making contact so I fixed that and made sure the box was grounded all the way around.

I believe I was still left with conducted RFI but I haven't had a chance to track it down. I don't live in that house anymore and my tenant has complained so far :-)

Anyway one of the reasons I'm interested in the Outback is to reduce the amount of work I have to do to mitigate RFI. What I can recall about Outback is they indicated that they should have better RFI performance. The MX60 designer is apparently a ham radio operator so he has a strong interest in keeping RFI down.

I also read they there were looking into an "external fix" (filter?) for some RFI problem with the FX-2000 (ah, found the reference: http://www.outbackpower.com/cgi-bin/Forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000016).

arnold

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:50 pm GMT EthGMT 
The MX60 appears to be very clean from RFI. The FX has some interference although we made a change last weekend that will greatly reduce EMI. We don't have much in the way of radiated from our box since it is sealed, but the wiring is conducting and can also radiate. We will check this week how much of an improvement we just made. There are planned filter improvements in the near future too but that will take a bunch of work so will be a few months off. Our goal is to give you a very quiet box! By the way, the guy (Roger)designing the filter is also a ham. Bob, the MX60 designer is a ham and Scott, the Mate designer is also a ham. We have also selected beta sites around the country that are hams. They will keep bugging us until it is quiet. That is why we like using them.
Robin Gudgel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:01 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Thanks, Robin!

It sounds like you guys have a good handle on this issue. IMO, that could be a major selling point for your products. Once you are sure you have it licked, I would encourage you to prominently present this differentiator on your datasheets.

Please keep us informed of your progress with eliminating the EMI from the FX units.

Regards,

George

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:54 pm GMT EthGMT 
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>George Estep said:
... IMO, that could be a major selling point for your products. ... I would encourage you to prominently present this differentiator on your datasheets.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree with George. Great to hear that you guys are working on it.

-Roger