Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: sw4048 problems
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:33 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

My first post so I am a little clumsy with all the snazzy buttons.
Has anyone had any experience with the LCD on an sw4048 locking up? the problem is in menu 4 (meters) grid amps, load amps and inverter amps. readings are 0. Xantrex is not responding to my querries and they deny any similar problems, which we have all heard of many times before. The inverter seems to be doing all the work it is supposed to, it is the read outs that are incorrect. The inverter has version 4.2 The first version of 4.2. We have not yet engaged the GTI. We have already switched the inverter for a new one and we have disconnected the SWCA communications cable. Best guess's are welcome. BTW we are using Maui software and because it is reading from the inverters control board it is showing similar readings.
[email]null[/email]

Post subject: sw4048 problems
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:38 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

V4.2 is the GTI enabled version of the internal software. You state that you have not yet engaged the GTI. Not sure just what this means, but am I correct is assuming that the inverter will not go into sell mode? What makes you think the inverter is doing all the work it is supposed to, when the meter reads zero? It would probably be helpful if you told us more about how you system is set up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:34 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert:
V4.2 is the GTI enabled version of the internal software. You state that you have not yet engaged the GTI. Not sure just what this means, but am I correct is assuming that the inverter will not go into sell mode? What makes you think the inverter is doing all the work it is supposed to, when the meter reads zero? It would probably be helpful if you told us more about how you system is set up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Robert,
Let me elaborate for Barry as he is working on my system.
The GTI is not activated as we are not yet grid tied. That may sound odd but here in Ontario being grid tied is a major undertaking. Anyway the GTI is not active.. What is happening is that after a period of time the Drid Watts, Inverter Watts and Load Watts drop to zero and then flat line. The only way to get the meters back to normal seems to restart the inverter or simulate a power failure.
The inverte is functional and providing power to the dedicated circuits. We have checked all this. What we are curious to find out is of anyone else has noticed 0 readings on the 3 meters. This is now the second inverter where we have seen this.
Any feedback woul dne great.
Cheers to all
Robin Smith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:36 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Why would you expect values on the grid readings if as you say , you not connected to the grid ?

Your powering loads from batteries I assume ...

Since you have swapped the inverter , it's not that but your set up and what you would expect from it.

What exactly would you expect from the grid reported vaules if the inverter is not phyically connected to the grid ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:56 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Finally i think I have the order of posting replies
#1 we are grid connected for input only, in other words we are charging batteries from the grid but we are not as yet selling to the grid.
#2 As atest we shut off grid to see if the inverter is suppling power from the batteries to loads
# 3 we tripped a sump pump (approx 8 amps) and output amps satyed at 0
#4 we should see readings >0 when grid is re-charging batteriers because we can see battery voltage rising.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:07 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I got so excited I figured out how to reply that forgot to mention that we had an SWCA attached and logging with Maui software.

One suggestion that we had was to remove the SWCA which was done. For a period of timeThe amps in/ out and inverter gave appropriate readings. Within 4 to 8 hours the reading go back to zero (with flickering about every 20 seconds of 1 to -0. We are aware that under 4amps that the eproms are only marginally accurate. but we have spiked the load to well over 10amps. Don't tell any one but we have heard from a good source that this particular problem has shown up before with Ver 4.2. We are looking for anyone who has talked with Xantrex directly about similar problems. We would also like opinions regarding possible solutions