Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: battery charging with an SW+4048
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:39 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Hi
I have offered to help a friend with their off-grid setup. Consists of Crown batteries and an SW+4048. I have lived with SW4048 for 5 years and it's my first exposure to the SW+ series. Why it's called Plus when so much is missing from the SW series, is beyond me.

My question arises from charging. The source is a 10kw Porter Cable gas unit with Honda engine. I didn't have my Kill a watt meter to see the frequency output, but suspect it was high...over 62Hz. Are the SW+ inverters any more finicky about their input power than the older SW series ? Do the SW+ inverters have to be on charge when charging? The inverter didn't seem to start charging when generator power was first applied...it had to be switched to charge for charging to occur. My old SW series would start to charge whenever generator power was sensed/applied, a change in design?

Also the battery voltage rose to absorb levels in mere minutes when the sg readings were at 50% or lower...and indication of sulfation. The sg readings did not rise much if at all in 2 hours charging. Next step is to eq charge them (if I could find some parameters for Crown batteries...deep cycle, not fork lift). Glad it's not my gas!

There's no RTS on the system, are they available for the SW+ series, and are they worth the investment?

Thanks

Ralph