Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tax break
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:33 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Anyone that knows the tax break that Bush just signed into law. When does that take effect and what are the terms? I was just thinking about the 2.75 watt price that is offered, if now is the time to buy.
Thanks
Dave

Post subject: Re: Tax break
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:43 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

The law takes effect 1/1/2009. From my understanding, for the federal rebate, it doesn't matter when you purchase / pay for the components, the IRS considers payment made as of the date the system was put into service. So even if you paid $10,000 in 2006 and never used the system, if you set up the system on 1/1/09 (or later) the IRS acts as if you paid $10,000 on 1/1/09 (or later).

There may be some obscure language in the tax rebate though that requires it to be a UL listed system, or maybe even hooked up to a local utility, I don't know that.

Also, the federal tax rebate used to have a maximum cap of $2000, but that was lifted. There is more information from another post on this forum in the Rebates section. If you get a state rebate, you must deduct that from your system cost in calculating the federal rebate. And each state rebate may have different requirements than the federal rebate.

And finally, I'm not a tax expert or attorney, so you will have to consult with your personal tax advisor.

Post subject: Re: Tax break
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:54 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

FEDs are 30% tax credit, no caps for 2009 and as sub3marathonman points out, you can buy now and take the credit when the system is placed in service

I believe its for any solar system, not just UL listed or Gridtie ... but this is just my opinion :wink: not tax advice

The Sun Brand panels are very attractive, they 2.75 price is all power grades, great deal for the 200 watters