Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:02 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ready to take my next (baby) step
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:07 am GMT EthGMT 
Greetings,

I've been "experimenting" with a 5 Watt panel for about a year now. I use it to charge batteries, run small fans, and just play around with it.

I'm ready to invest in a small system with an actual inverter/charger.

Funds are limited. What's a good place to start? I'm able to build anything as far as the electronics go.

:?:

Post subject: Baby steps
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:57 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Joe :

First step, as HomePower.com or any of several common solar web sites would hav you do, is an assay similar to this :

1) What's your budget ?
2) Where do you live ?
3) Have you installed energy saving devices and other conservation measures first ?
4) Do you have a 200-400 sq ft area that gets direct sun for a few/several hours most of the year ?
5) Are you planning on running AC, a pool pump, a hot tub, lighting up the neighborhood at night or any other power hungry scenarios ?
6) Assuming #1 is at least a few thou, and #2 is in a decent zone and #3 is done and you got #4 and aren't doing #5, What is your annual power usage ?
7) Are you planning on installing the system yourself ?
8) Now go to a good solar calculator website (there's several, several) and run through their survey as well. Deduct any state incentives, rebates and tax credits from the total for equipment you come up with. If #7 is a no, add about 25% to the cost.
9) If the cost is too much, go back to the calculator and run the numbers for an augmenting PV system to handle your partial annual power usage
10) Now the hard choice : spending the money you're earmarked wisely by shopping around for the best contractor deal (if #7=no) or equipment shopping yourself (if #7=yes and you're now familiar with all the gear available out there) for a full or partial generation system, or waiting for prices to drop on panels (ain't going to happen anytime soon, as there's a worldwide shortage) or the next generation technology (ain't gonna happen soon, as there's lots of prototypes but no production quantities yet).

OK, 10 steps to go through. I've left out details (assuming grid tied) and other miscellaneous costs, assumptions, permits ,amount of time/effort. etc etc but by now you have the general idea : it takes a good deal of time and effort on your part before the real time & effort and cost really starts. If you're not up to the beginning challenge, don't go any further and continue to play with your PV toys.

-- LH

Post subject: Re: Baby steps
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:16 am GMT EthGMT 
LarryH wrote:
Joe :

First step, as HomePower.com or any of several common solar web sites would hav you do, is an assay similar to this :

1) What's your budget ?

Maybe $2,000. No more than that.

2) Where do you live ?

North central Ohio.

3) Have you installed energy saving devices and other conservation measures first ?

Yes to a point, I heat with wood. I'm looking at home brewed water heaters and passive solar heat also. These would not be included in the photovoltaic budget.

4) Do you have a 200-400 sq ft area that gets direct sun for a few/several hours most of the year ?

And then some.

5) Are you planning on running AC, a pool pump, a hot tub, lighting up the neighborhood at night or any other power hungry scenarios ?

Nope, actually, I am not planning on powering the entire house , just one room to start. So I'm looking for guidance/suggestions on sizing a system with room to grow.

6) Assuming #1 is at least a few thou, and #2 is in a decent zone and #3 is done and you got #4 and aren't doing #5, What is your annual power usage ?

I have those numbers somewhere, but again, I'm not looking to replace the electric company anytime soon. I can do the power usage calculations for the devices I want to power, I just need to know who has the best equipment for the money.

7) Are you planning on installing the system yourself ?

Most definitely.

8) Now go to a good solar calculator website (there's several, several) and run through their survey as well. Deduct any state incentives, rebates and tax credits from the total for equipment you come up with. If #7 is a no, add about 25% to the cost.

I'll look for one of those several calculators, thanks.

9) If the cost is too much, go back to the calculator and run the numbers for an augmenting PV system to handle your partial annual power usage

That's what I'm attempting, this whole project is more for my edification thatn anything. I don't hate the electric company and I'm not a survivalist. I just want to play around. Gotta have a hobby.

10) Now the hard choice : spending the money you're earmarked wisely by shopping around for the best contractor deal (if #7=no) or equipment shopping yourself (if #7=yes and you're now familiar with all the gear available out there) for a full or partial generation system, or waiting for prices to drop on panels (ain't going to happen anytime soon, as there's a worldwide shortage) or the next generation technology (ain't gonna happen soon, as there's lots of prototypes but no production quantities yet).

Great points. Part of my reason for doing this is to get a good understanding of the overall alternative enrgy picture. Perhaps I can contribute to the advancement the technology.

OK, 10 steps to go through. I've left out details (assuming grid tied) and other miscellaneous costs, assumptions, permits ,amount of time/effort. etc etc but by now you have the general idea : it takes a good deal of time and effort on your part before the real time & effort and cost really starts. If you're not up to the beginning challenge, don't go any further and continue to play with your PV toys.

Gee, that almost sounds like an insult.

Thanks for the great advice.

Joe

-- LH

Post subject: Baby steps
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:03 am GMT EstGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Joe :

I know this is out of your price range, but the following site has some very good kits put together for folks like you & me :

http://www.partsonsale.com/products2.html#homekits

At least it'll show you all the components you'll need (another good site for that is Real Goods). Not to sound too much like a real estate salesman , but you might want to consider to buy as much PV system as you can afford, and leave room for growth in the future. You could easily spend $2k on just the inverter going piecemeal; these kits are priced pretty damn good for DIYers willing to learn and walk the talk.

-- LH