Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:29 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Florida Humidity
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:00 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I live way out on the panhandle and was thinking to set up a small solar project, mainly for backup.
I am looking at installing a couple panels on a pole in the back yard to get the most sun as possible.
I will install the panels, batteries, controller and Inverter all next to each other.
Has anyone had any issues with humidity, dew etc causing any issues with equipment?
I know the system will need to be open for cooling so moisture could be a problem.
Any thoughts, experiences? Thanks!!!

Post subject: Re: Florida Humidity
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:26 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

certain types of NEMA rated enclosures, are rainproof, water tight, and submersible. The more performance you want, the more it costs.

Most gear is rated to "non-condensing" atmosphere spec, so if the sun was not up, the gear was cold, and a blast of warm, humid air came through, you'd get condensation. That's bad for high voltage ( >50V ) electronics. Rare combo though.

Something like a 5 gallon paint bucket, over the top, would make it dew & rain proof, and when running in sun, internal heat will keep condensation at bay. But then you have waste heat to deal with.

I've seen large cable tv repeater housings, nearly the size of a storage cabinet, but those are likely pricey. Maybe an awning and side, with lots of vent gaps at the top, is the ticket.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:03 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I haven't enough time to research everything. So I figured I post some questions to try in fill in the blanks.
The problem is try to find the place with the most sun isn't always in the best location. I kind of want it low so it can be removed and stored if any hurricanes come in. Lots of things to consider trying to make it as efficient as possible. Thanks for the info !!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:21 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Use a small (sturdy) shed at the base of the pole to house the gear. Any shade on the panels renders them nearly useless.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:31 pm GMT EstGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Like someone said make sure your stuff is rated for humidity. Placing it on a shed may not be the best location depending on where the sun is. If you have a spot that gets constant sunlight throught the day that will be the best spot for it. Normal humidity shouldn't be a problem, its when it condensates and actually form water droplets that it becomes a problem.