Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GT 3.3 data to a Mac, impossible??
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:57 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Hi, new here, so sorry if this has already been discussed ...

I'm using a GT 3.3 and everything's running fine. I'm just wondering if anyone's had luck dumping data from any of the Xantrex GT inverters directly to a Macintosh in any format, even text? I asked Xantrex and they said to ask here.

I could run a software version of Windows and use GT-View, but I suspect I'd still have problems getting the data into the mac.

Just trying to avoid buying a dedicated computer for this purpose, thanks!

Hamish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:25 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

GT-View is a window application and is timing dependent. If you have a fast MAC and a real serial port it might work using a Virtual windows, your just going to have to give it a try.

As for having a second computer, for a single GT, just about any PC will work to log the data, GT-View can be configured to store the data anywhere on a network, so it should be able to store on your mac if its settup as a windows share device.

For 30 bucks on eBay (Buy Now) there are plenty of 500mhz pc's that will do the job. If you want an all in one solution, go for an old laptop, they are low power, have a display. Anything that runs windows should work, I would suggest a 300mhz+, I see them for ~75-100 all the time

I hope some of these suggestions help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:11 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I have GT View working on a Mac running parrallels w/XP on a Core Duo Mac Mini.

here is how I'm monitoring my Xantrex inverter:

Macintosh Mini 10.4.x running Parrallels w/XP (http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/)
I purchased 2 DB-9's ---> Cat 5 adapters (passive pin-out converter) (www.unistorage.com)
Part #'s
• 0716APC - APC MODULAR ADAPTER KIT, GRAY, UNPINNED, DB9 MALE TO RJ45 FEMALE
• 0877APC - APC MOD ADAPTER KIT, GRAY, UNPINNED, DB9 FEMALE TO RJ45 FEMALE
NOTE: the DB9 --> RJ45 Female adapters are not strictly necessary - but they allow you to run standard CAT-5e cable out of the inverter and in my opinion make for an easier bit of cable running (I personally don't see how anyone can get a RS-232 cable through the knock-out holes provided. These adapters on my setup simply route the serial cable through the knockouts and I plug them into the serial->ethernet adapter in another weather-proof box I've mounted next to the inverter. In the weather proofbox next to the inverter I have AC power, the serial->ethernet converter, and a long ethernet drop that ties into my home network. the DB9->RJ45 connectors are NOT an active conversion component, they are simply passive wire-pin-out mappers so that you can run RS-232 serial over CAT-5e using standard cat-5e cables - DO not plug these into your home network - this cable needs to be terminated into a serial->ethernet converter to use this on your home network)
• I purchased a RS-232 serial to Ethernet adapter from gridconnect (www.gridconnect.com) part #GC-NET232-DTE (http://www.gridconnect.com/net232-dte.html)

Rough Steps:
(assumptions you're familiar with windows, Macintosh and have a functioning network - DO NOT INSTALL ANY HARDWARE WITHOUT POWERING DOWN YOUR SOLAR SYSTEM AT THE GRID CONNECTED POWER - if you're nervous about doing this then DO NOT DO IT!!! - YOU'LL NEED TO WORKING OUT THE WIRING TO/FROM YOUR INVERTER - THIS IS NOT MY PROBLEM - IT'S YOUR PROBLEM)
• Setup MacMini Core Duo (I recommend this CPU because it uses soooo little power ~18-25 watts)
• Configure Parrellels w/Windows XP - use _BRIDGE MODE NETWORKING_ - DO NOT USE SHARED NETWORKING - the serial ethernet converter software will not be able to find the serial adapter to configure it (shared networking should work after initial configuration of the adapter).
• Install the serial--->ethernet software - follow reboot/install instructions provided with the CD in pdf format
• configure the serial adapter to have a fixed IP address
• configure the comm mapping software to take over COM3 in the PC environment - set the serial mode to "RAW"
• quit/rerun the comm mapping software in Windows XP (the COMM port mapping software MUST be running for all COM3 traffic to be routed over ethernet)
• run GT View and have it use COM3 - if you've set it up correctly and you've wired the system into your home network you should now get status on your Xantrex Solar inverter

this setup should work in theory with any serial->ethernet converter and it also works really well if you simply want to monitor your inverter over your home network from a real PC - but I recommend a Mac :) I know the serial->ethernet converter I've documented here works so if you want the fewest problems you can go with that.

I've been running this configuration for the past week and it's working great!!! Your milage may vary. I recommend bumping the memory in the MacMini to 2 gigs since parrallels is a memory hungry beast. :P

(for those who care I've measured the watts on the serial->ethernet converter at ~3.5 watts, and the mac takes 18-30 watts - so worst case you're using ~35 watts to monitor your system - I've rounded up so your actual usage might be lower. I'm running the monitor on a system that I have running a server anyways so it's running in any case and therefore does not represent any additional usage as a resulting of monitoring).

you can get the memory for you mac from anywhere, but I've had good luck with www.coastmemory.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:51 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

additional note: once you get the ethernet converter I've documented
above - it appears the serial protcol documented by Xantrex works just
fine via telnet.

steps:
1. aquire serial -> ethernet adapter
2. setup adapter
3. telnet [adapter-ip-address] 10001
4. type xantrex protocol commands into telnet - watch results come
back!!

this is sooooo - cool cause you can do this from any client with telnet
access to the network!!

programmer's start your compiler's - this baby's been opened up!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:54 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Additional Note: the DB9 to Cat5e adpaters can also be had via cablestogo. I've helped a friend setup his inverter and we got the connectors via cablestogo.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product_list. ... hgod7SfFWQ