Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:34 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kyocera KC-120 panel failure?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:53 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I have 40 KC120-1's that Kyocera is replacing. However, they do not replace with the 130's anymore, they replace with KC120-R's (refurbished KC120-1's). Has anyone experienced replacement with the refurbished modules? Is the performance as expected?

Thanks,
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:05 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

You are the first to report the change, but I'm not surprised. On the array I swapped out this spring, it would have been pretty easy to repair the panels. The failure was very obvious an interconnection failure and that can be corrected with a knife and soldering iron in about 10 minutes. I did try and buy the 48 panels that were returned and at that time they indicated they would be repaired by Kyocera for future warranty repairs, so I'm not surprised they now have enough stock to recycle the older panels

The Silicon Cells themselves really don't have any life limit and I'm sure Kyocera isn't going to send out panels that haven't been thoroughly checked out and have people have failures a second time

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:59 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

My 40 KC-120-1 modules were replaced with KC-120-R modules. For the first week and a half things were great. But slowly it seems that these modules are failing as well. The symtom is that throughout the day, as it heats up, the modules stop producing power. Then after an hour or so they start coming back up again - I guess as the modules cool down. I can remove fuses at the combiner box and see which strings are producing power, i.e., I can remove a fuse and one string will cause a 5 amp drop in power, and others have no impact on power production.

Any thoughts before I give Kyocera another call?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:21 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

That sound like a major pain, but before calling Kyocera, you need to debug a bit more ( suggestion ). Failing panels should not have current goto zero, that sounds like a wiring issue as when a panel internally has an open, the bypass diodes kick in and the remainder of the string will produce SOME current, not zero.

Before the string in question fails , open all the Jboxes in that string and then when a string goes to zero current measure each panel ( gently ) and see when the circuit is open what is amiss . If I had to guess, its possible its something as simple as a connection or two that the screws in the Jbox are not tighted by the installer

If you find that is yet again another defective panel, I'd raise this back to Kyocera ... it might be possible that some refurbs worked at the factory but in all the movement have caused more intermittent open connections ... please keep us informed of what you find

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:33 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Thanks - I'll continue to gather data over the next few days. BTW, yesterday I did go through every juntion box and ensure all screws were tight - they were (all screws, including the ones for the blocking diodes.

One other note - the PV volts start out around 66 or 67 in the morning and the battery volts around 53.5. Charge controllers are always in Bulk mode feeding the grid. As the day goes on, the the PV volts drop to around 57 or so by mid-afternoon and battery volts fluctuate between 52.8 and 53.5.

Charge controllers are OutBack FM60s. Inverters are two stacked SW5548s. Grid-tied with battery backup - two 48 volt banks of Surrett 5000 series batteries.

Thanks,
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:17 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

I actually have 12 KC120's on a tracker. The dates on them is 2003.8 and I'm not having any problems with them YET. I have them on a MPPT charge controller that keeps the volts high and the amps low. Hopfuly this will keep the solder joints from overloading. Anyone know of any failures in the 2003 KC120's ?

My other three 12 panel trackers have KC130's on them. I probably have the largest solar power tracking system in Pinellas County, FL.