Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Zomeworks Tracker Modification
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:58 pm GMT EthGMT 
I have converted my Zomeworks F120 trackers, would actually work on any, to an electrically operated tracker system that is controlled vis a PC running Windows XP. I wrote the software and used PC7256 PCI Relay card and built a relay board to drive satellite actuator arms.

I was wondering if anyone out there is interested in a system similar to mine. I was thinking about marketing this puppy, its actually just a kit that it installed. No modification to the tracker other than adding a sinlge bracket and removing the dampers. Trouble with the trackers is that they face west and night, which means they face west at sunup. So you lose KWH generation time until they migrate over. Since I want to squeeze as much as I can, I wanted them facing east at sunup which my system allows me to do. I was just hanging a weight on the end of the tracker to drag it down via gravity at night, but it was getting old. I did that for 3 years and did not want to do it anymore. I applied this to 7 working trackers and works great. Does not use positioning of the sun, I found that if I move in consistant moves every 15 mins. from 10:00 to 3:30, works just fine. Also has the advantage of laying flat during high wind conditions, which where I live is a real concern.

If interested, contact me at dzldan@earthlink.net, I have a spam arrest intercepting my email, just follow the steps and the email will get to me. You have to go thru an authorization process since the spam was getting to be obnoxious to say the least. It is a simple process, so please do go thru. My work number is 661-705-1142 if you want to talk.