Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:10 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 gt 3.8 inverters connection to new laptop
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:17 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I currently have 3 new 3.8 inverters i want to connect them to my laptop so i can view the information useing gt view.What i did was installed a category 5 cable from the inverters to my office.The category 5 cable has a 232 or the standard male end on it.At the inverter i used a db9 to cat 5 connector.What do i use to connect to my laptop?Please help me out this is frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:06 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

GT-View can only directly monitor a single inverter with full operational detail.

The GT inverters uses pins 2,3,5 in the DB9 connector , this needs to make it back to the laptop so it retains the 2,3,5 pinout ( straight thru connection)

On the laptop, you most lieky need a usb to serial converter

see this thread

http://www.solar-guppy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392

If you interconnect the GT's using standard network cables, GT-Viwe can display the operational data of the inverter the laptop to GT is connected to AND also display system total ACWATTS and LIFETIME kwh values

If you desire more than this, you need to have three copies of GT-View running each connected to one of the 3 inverters in your case.

Many people find it easier to make ther own cables, as only three wires are needed for each laptop to inverter and there are 8 wires in Cat5 cables. Also, the pin 5 (Ground) can be shared, allowing a single cat5 to be custom wired to connect the 3 inverters to the laptop

Since your using a db9 to RJ45 connector, I dont know what actual wires are being used in the cat5 cable. I'm guessing, if you use the same brand db9 to RJ45 on each end , you should be OK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:04 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

One thing I was wondering about... BP Solar was offering a small LCD display that is supposed to display some of the basic inverter information...

Quote:
BP Solar System Monitor

This exclusive wireless in-house display communicates with your BP Solar Home Solution® to provide you with a digital readout of useful information - how much electricity your system is producing, how much your house is using, current time, solar intensity, and the cumulative electricity production of your system. This optional display is only available with an official BP Solar Home Solutions™ system and is not sold separately.

At first, I thought that this should imply that the Xantrex GT inverters had a wireless link too... But given that I have never read anything about it here or on Xantrex's website--plus they wanted like $1,000 for this item... I am guessing that it is just a stand alone unit with software and an RS-232/Wireless link.

A Wireless link would have been nice in my house to my laptop (ideally, WiFi).

Any further information?

-Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:11 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Sorry, never heard of this device

On the Xantrex forum, there are some posts on people who have GT-View running wireless , using some rs232 to wireless bridge devices

http://www.xantrex.com/forum/forum_post ... D=282&PN=1