Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:30 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 track or not 2 track
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:06 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

I have an ongoing internal conflict. I need to add more panels which means a new mount and a new pole to mount it too. Either I go with 12 panels on a fixed mount or 10 panels on a tracker. The tracker is about $1500 more than the fixed mount and 2 panels would cost about $1000 so It's within $500. 2 panels add 20% and I've read a tracker can add 25%-33%. I do have very early and very late shade so I'm thinking a tracker may add about 20% for me so more or less the same as 2 more panels. I'm in Canada and get snow and freezing temperatures 4 -5 months of the year. 12 panels on a tracker is out of the question because it puts me up to the next model + US$1600 and another $150 for the post.
Recommendations? Opinions? Experience?
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:17 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

From what I have read, trackers should only be used if you have clear dawn to dusk sunlight. Since you have morning and evening shading, it will impact into what ever supposed gain they provide.

Also the gain is minimal in the winter months, the most in summer months, meaning in the winter you will be better off with 12 panels and your shading will disproportionally cut into the advantage they have in the longer summer days

There is also the issue of maintance and relaiblity, which again, I have read trackers are not good for.

I would stick with a seasonable adjustable tilt rack and put the 12 panels on it.

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:17 am GMT EndGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Only a thought to add to the confusion.

I have a tracker, it was installed in Late June of 2003. It will produce approx 20-25% more than fixed. I have compared it to fixed unit locally and know for sure.
The tracker has had no maintance issues since installation. It is a Wattsun AZ-22.
To track or not- in the long run 10 yr I bet it will be best.

Post subject: 2 trk or not...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:56 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

I've a friend in So CA that has a SEVEN Zomeworks tracker system - the ones requiring no actuator arms or motors. Apparently the Santa Ana winds have been too much for this design, and some of the rack-pole mountings have broke, repaired with beefier parts from Zomeworks, pro bono. He lost two panels when the rack system broke again a few months ago (he's had the system for a few years, with several break/fatigue situations).
These trackers lose about 1/2 hour of the early morning sun as they swing back towards the east, so that shouldn't affect your early morning shade situation too much. However, I'd be worried about those Canadian Arctic air blasts doing the same thing to these trackers up in the Great White North as my friend experienced way down south. I'd actually be worried about wind loading for any tracking system up there.
In the last several months, he's outfitted his tracking systems with home brewed microcontroller controlled actuators, but that's another story...

Post subject: Trackers
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:52 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Something else to break! Leave them out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:43 am GMT ErdGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I had my last power bill in 1992. Last year I bought a Wattsun Tracker.
It is the best thing that I have ever bought for power. The one thing that all the adds don't tell you is how much more float time you get, and for summer you can run all kinds of cooling equipment till 7 pm when it is hot.

For grid tied I can see how you guy's don't think much of them but I'll tell you the Wattsun is built like a tank. Very easy to service and plug and play.

My batteries are getting 8 hours of float after a 2 hour absorbtion from a MX60. This won't happen in winter but I am charged by noon in December instead of 3pm.

For my 2 cents KWH are nothing compared to float time. Love the Fishbowl !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:47 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

I can understand your concern with the wind. I have had not problems with wind and sometime we get 60 mile/hr speed. All is good. I posted a while back indicating that I had a Wattsun tracker.
I recently had electrical problems with the tracker. 1st time I had problems in 3 yrs. I returned the "eye and components" to Wattsun, which they repaired it and now I am up and running again.
I did not choose the Zoomworks trackers because of the lag time in the morning. I am in Indiana and thought in the winter (cold) the tracker would even take longer to turn East.
Anyway I am really happy with it, it is heavy and I have 16 110 watt panels and wish I had more.