Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:51 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GT-View as a service?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:54 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

They have finally gotten my system running, and I am now just waiting for approvals to start running it.

Is there any way to install GT-View to run as a service (Win2003 server)? That way, after a computer outage, it would restart automatically, and noone has to be logged into the computer. I am most interested in the data logging, the graphic display is secondary. I have found that if I "lock" the computer, the .png screenshot of the display is black... I can live with that, but it means that I have to remember to log into the computer after any outage toi restore data logging.

Lacking that, I suppose I could always buy an old computer to dedicate to logging, but I really would prefer to use the existing one.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: GT-View as a service?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:06 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

bill_h wrote:
Is there any way to install GT-View to run as a service
Thanks.

I just drug a copy of the shortcut into the STARTUP folder. It starts up fine, and continues logging
Start
Programs
Startup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:21 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Thanks Mike. If I have to go with the dedicated computer, that is the way I will go. I posted on the Xantrex board several months ago, and I am afraid you are correct (the answer is probably "not at this time" :cry:).

As I understand, stuff in the STARTUP folder is only executed when that user actually logs on. So, if the computer goes off for whatever reason (reboot, power, Murphy's law, or whatever), unless a user physically logs onto the computer it boots and just sits at a startup screen (stuff in startup folder is not executing yet). If the user logs off, the programs that user was running terminate (GT-View does prompt to save the log files in that case)... A service installation allows stuff to run whenever the computer is booted, but nobody is logged in. Much better from a security standpoint too (no unattended computer logged into a network).

Post subject: Re: GT-View as a service?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:35 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

You can use TweakUI to have an autologin user w/password, but then when that user logs out, the gtview stops.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui

I think that many things will work if you manualy install the item as a service, but if it runs hidden, I'm not sure how the .PNG upload will work, as it may not have any graphic to capture

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:52 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Outstanding! That's the answer. Autologin, and a shortcut in the Startup Folder. I'll just create a user who has minimal privileges, and it should be good to go. Thanks.