Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:04 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: inverter preference
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:20 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Guppy, I know your heart is with Xantrex but my array just does'nt have the voltage to use a GT. I know you've tried/tested other products so would you reccommend a Fronius IG2000 or a Sunnyboy 1100? I have 8 (soon to be 12) Evergreen 102w panels.
Thanks for the input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:13 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

The main difference between your choices is the Fronius is a fan cooled unit and the SMA is convection cooled and sealed design.

Both inverters need 150Vdc for mppt tracking and my experiance showes that you need a good 15-20 volts above this to deal with partly cloudy weather when the DC has large variations.

For the GT, you need 16, 12 volt panels to work well, so yes, these inverters would need 12 panels.

SMA is the more mature product but the Fronius has built in disconnects, either should work for your application.

Personally if this was my system and since the energy amount is miminal ( maybe 4kw day ), I would consider using an outback GTFX3048 with a small battery bank. Then you get gridtie and some amount of emergency power for a minimal differnce is costs

Post subject: inver choice
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:36 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Well I decided to go with the Fronius because it left me a little expansion room if I ever decide to go beyond 12 panels. On my first day (yesterday) I made 6 KWh with a peak of 1056W out of a possible 1224W.
As for built in disconnects, yes it has AC and DC breakers but so did my old SunTie 1500. I liked watching the watt hours count up on the SunTie and the fronius is pretty anti-climactic since it only shows KWh. Oh well. I was spinning the meter backward faster than I has ever seen in the past due to the extra 4 panels so that put a smile on my face.