Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:51 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battery charger without inverter
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:11 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Okay while my projected system has the potential to use tons of power over the coarse of a day, it will not ever have a high peak. With the design I have for air conditioning all pumps, everything in the house running will be slightly under 5kw of DC power.

I am looking at the XW6048. I would venture to say this should cover my needs for AC power. As it can run up to 6kw of constant use. And a few seconds of peak up to 12,000.

My problem is I have a potential of fairly high power consumption total day. Which in turn makes my solar array a fair bit larger.

The xw6048 would not be large enough to charge my batteries.

Instead of buying 2 xw6048. Could I buy just a battery charger without inverter. I know there exists battery chargers.

Are there any good ones equivalent to what is inside the xw6048 or maybe better? My primary motivation, is that maybe here I can save a bit of money as the xw6048 is a bit expensive. So if I could save $1500-$2000 without the bundled inverter. I could add a few more panels, or maybe a few more batteries. Still stick it into the system but something that would bring me more benefits.

Look forward to hearing from people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:34 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

You will need a pair of XW-6048's ... I have single one that is ONLY connected to the 5 ton AC. Its a struggle to get it AC started ( works every time ) but I doubt with additional loads it would do more

Motors can draw 11X the run amps for start-up ( its called locked rotor amps ). For a rental, if someone has the hair-dryer running when the AC kicks in it would trip offline with a single unit .. its not even a question you need two IMHO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:37 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Mitsubishi city multi actually starts lower and works it way up to .9kw a ton for power consumption. There is not spike in the starting draw.

You may want to check them out. Very interesting.
I think I will get 2 inverter. But I guess to make this thread useful to anyone that would read it in the future, could you answer the thread topic.

Also is it okay to mix inverter sizes, or better balance with two exactly alike.

XW 4548 and the 6048?

I will probably get 2 Xw 4548. Really depending on budget. I have settle to the fact of using the generator alot. So solar array will be smaller. IN the size range of 6-7kw.

IF not to tight the budget will get 6048's to give more expandability.

Anyway, thanks for the advise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:41 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Since the XW's parrallel, should not be an issue with the different models

The price difference between a 6048 and 4548 is in the hundreds.For a system of this size it's money well spent to have the surge ability of a pair of 6048's .. you'll be kicking yourself forever if the smaller units trip off due to loads later in life!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:43 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

animatt wrote:
Mitsubishi city multi actually starts lower and works it way up to .9kw a ton for power consumption.

That would be surprising, a motor starting without a power spike

Do you have a link to their website, or something that talks to that ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:49 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

I will look at for it. But it is a Mitsubishi City Mult units that can do this.

I would imagine since it is a variable speed compressor to tries to start at a lower capacity. But is energy usage is higher for the much lower demand. But once going slowly works its way up. Not actually sure the details why, just a guess.

They can really scale back. A 6 ton unit can effectively scale back to .6ton unit when there is no demand.

They can scale to 10 percent of the size of unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:18 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Never heard of a variable speed compressor, usally vendors make claims for variable speed, its the blower not the compressor

Like Mike, post a link with the details ... there are a few reasons I have doubts about the claims your being sold on, there is some basic reasons motors have high amp loads until upto rated speed.

True variable frequency motors ( which is how an AC motor is varaible speed ) controllers are around but and AirCon system is based compression/expansion and there is little variance for it to work right, run the motor 1/2 speed and the pressure is so low you get no cooling

Sales folk will say ANYTHING to sell something, in engineering I deal with this all the time!

What is most improtaint is you have an Electric system that can work with more than a single vendors magic system. If you design for this magic unit and it dosen't work as claimed, your then stuck with NO AC because you went to small on the inverters and they can't drive a real AC unit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:25 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Definitely going with the 2 inverters.

Although going to test the system with one. Before I take anyones word on it. I will sign a contract on it. Obviously start up power is something they should have a good idea of power demands. AS it is one moment in time not monthly averages etc.

Either before signing the contract they may fess up to mis representation, or they sign contract, it does not perform, and they do not get the balance of installation cost. Which I probably would dump into power system.

or it works as advertised. Which I really do expect some variation on what they are selling, but the general idea should be correct.

I did read a slight blurb in something that it can start with as low as 11amps.
11x220=2420watts. I will try find the link.