Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:04 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Code Question
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:55 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

sg,
your last post applies to those inspectors that follow the NEC, which some do not or make their own changes as they are allowed. in most cases what you say is true as most inspectors try to follow the NEC.

mike,
what do weekend warriors do?
they swear each time they hit their thumb, bump their head, or fall from the ladder often during inclimate weather while trying to install it only to find they wired something wrong or forgot to make the connection. those that have damaged equipment be it their fault or not or had designed their system wrong are miserable for weeks/months on end until they get a replacement or the right stuff. after all of that they lose sleep in last minute preparation/worry for the inspection to sometimes find the inspector didn't like something you overlooked or he made up his own revision or his own rules and you have to wait for another month for him to show up for the minor correction that was needed.
i wonder what the suicide rates are for those that diy and deal with local governments? :shock: :?:

Post subject: Re: Code Question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:05 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I just want to echo Solar Guppy post on dealing with inspectors and just add some useful techniques for dealing with building inspectors and code issues when it comes to the 690 sec. In the hundred plus installations I have had inspected I have run into all types of building inspectors, from very knowledgeable to border line incompetent.

1. Ask for the code section. The inspector is suppose to be the expert. If he (or she) has a problem with something ask if it falls under a specific code section and what it is. This way you at least know what you are challenging. I did this when an inspector asked for some specific labeling, when I asked for the code section and we checked it together it ended up not applying to my install.

2. As for Building Inspectors being gods, and always getting there way, that is not necessarily true. Building officials are the true authority, so you can always appeal to a higher power. If you feel the inspector is being unreasonable and you think you have a solid case (Do the research), ask to speak to the inspectors supervisor and see if they are willing to listen to reason.

3. Lastly, BE NICE, some areas work their building inspectors pretty hard. Failing an inspection is not the end of the world. I don't know how many times I have asked a building inspector how his day has been and gotten a story about how the last inspection being a nightmare because the homeowner or contractor threw a temper tantrum. My mom always said you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Hope this Helps