Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XW6048 Knockouts
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:13 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

This is going to seem like a silly question, but to anyone that has installed an xw6048:

when you removed the knockouts for ac/power/etc, was this difficult?

I've pounded on them 13 different ways, and they do NOT come out, I fear I will have use a slugbuster to remove them. The manual makes not special notes. I've beat on them so much I've bent the case back and forth, but no slugs are removed.

On top of all that, I spent the 2 hours to install the midnite solar XW panel (which was another ordeal) thinking the slugs would be no big deal to remove. Ooops

anyone?

Post subject: Re: XW6048 Knockouts
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:27 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Its important you hit the slug 90 degree's to the metal holding the slug on and at the outer most point of the circle ... a single hit, then 180 degree's to rock the slug, I use a Phillips screw driver and my line pliers as the hammer

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:23 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

yes, as sg said, but be careful the screwdriver doesn't go too far in if there's anything in reach that the screwdriver can hit on the inside. many knockouts may appear like this: (][) obviously this is not done well to visualize, but 2 ends are solidly connected to the rest of the box, the top and bottom, and the areas the parenthesis occupy are not connected. some knockouts also are only connected in one place, but i'm assuming it to have 2. tap the screwdriver into either area on the left or right that the parenthesis occupy and once in a bit, pry it to open more. once you have enough room for pliers you can rock it back and forth to break the connection. i hope you didn't beat it up too much to damage anything inside.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:58 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I've punched out hundred of knockouts in my life, but these weren't like most others. I actually called Xantrex tech support to ask, and they admitted they actually get this same call from time to time. They "punch" the knockout just 40%, which is not enuf. I ended up using a 1" wood bit that has a very sharp center , and tear a hole in the metal with it, then a couple good hits with a std screwdriver worked it loose. I am convinced that no amount of punching would have removed this without first weakening it.
Funniest part, Xantrex was to call me back when he found "the guy that knows the trick" in 30 mins or so, but its been 24 hours so far - NOTHING.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:42 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

there's got to be a joke in there somewhere when the 30 minute man is more than 24hrs late. :roll:
glad you finally got it.
anybody, is there a pic somewhere with a good view of this knockout that i can view it for myself to see what he went up against?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:40 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

same as with the xw mppt...at first I had trouble with the knockouts , then i got a wood gouge and made a line through the paint, then they popped right out
the paint is why they are hard to get out

chris owens

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:19 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

As a side note, I guess Xantrex realized this was an issue. I just got my 2nd XW6048 and I could almost punch them out by hand, almost