Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:53 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Software
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:33 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

After a super long wait I finally got my Serial to USB converter. Couldn't get my hands on much else. But the converter only has a small cable, so the laptop is butted up against the inverter for now. It plugged in fine, the software starts up and runs.

Just wondering, I have seen the display pics from info about the software, and what information is displayed is formatted differently. Since I just downloaded it again I assume I have the latest style. But is there more then one different output (not talking about the skins)

Oh.. Looks like my signature isn't working, anyhow, there is a link to see the display
http://users.tpg.com.au/skozzy/solar/SGT_ScreenSave.png

Post subject: Re: Software
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:12 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Does anyone have some tips how I can get the image capture from my laptop (plugged into the xantrex) to display on my main computers desktop. For now I use VNC. The software is saving an image to a network share, but it still doesn't give me any ideas how to have it updating perminantly on my desktop. If I set the picture as a desktop backgound it doesnt update, its just the one image, windows 7 will cycle through pictures if there is more then one in a selected folder, but since there is only one file I miss out on that option.

And can someone tell me what EFF and MPPT means. Those figures change a bit but I cant think what they mean.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:33 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

skozzy wrote:

And can someone tell me what EFF and MPPT means. Those figures change a bit but I cant think what they mean.

EFF = efficiency (that system is at)
MPPT = Multi Point Power Tracking (voltage array is loaded to, to extract the most power)

I've got some code on my site http://www.mike-burgess.org/PVinfo_2.html
that pushes an update. SGV can be configured to upload via FTP, to a website for all to see.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:14 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

I am using the SG-View software 1.0 beta 5 which I downloaded here the other day. I have it configured to save a a capture every 10 seconds, same for the data file it makes in excel format. Then I have it set to upload a picture via FTP to my home page every 30 seconds.

When I open my browser to see the later image I have to press F5 or the refresh button. I will find out how to make the page auto refresh one day.

Then for my localy saved file that is saved on a network share, I use the Microsoft gadget that displays a slide show of pictures. When there is only one picture in the folder you select it doesn't seem to update, so I edited one of the capture images and blanked out the data and put in the words REFRESHING, set the gadget to reload images every 10 seconds. So far it works ok, it looks a little odd but it is serving it purpose so far. I have been reading how to make my own gadget, but it seems common to use java and css stuff which I know nothing about.

So once I work out what code to put on my homepage to make it auto refresh and work out how to make a gadget for windows 7 then I am all good.

Oh, I noticed on your webpage you have a graph displayed. I notice the XLS file that gets generated every day has an update every second, when I load that into a spreadsheet and try to make a graph from it the computer has a heart attack cause of the volume of data there. If you have tips or advice how to generate a graph that does have a point of data for every second of the day then I wouldn't mind knowing how.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:19 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Just found the auto refresh for the webpage
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="10" >

Where 10 is every 10 seconds