Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 pm GMT ErdGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: photwatt pwx750
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:59 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

i have an "ok4u" gridtie inverter that is supposed to receive 24 volts. my problem is... i just took delivery of a photowatt 90w module that is "designed" for 12v . how can i make this work??? i was thinking of putting another panel with this wiring for 24 volt, then into the inverter. any help out there, pleease???

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 12:36 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Never Heard of that inverter , what are the specs , that being AC/DC voltage and more importaintly the AC/DC power ratings , also is this UL approved ??

Yes , you can put another panel in series to get the 24 volts but you need the same model panel and make sure your not putting to much DC power into it ...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:22 am GMT EthGMT 
This unit is only 100w. The manual for the OK4U inverter says "The unit is designed for use in combination with a PV module consisting of 72 solar cells in series and with a peak output power of 80 to 120 W."

This tells me 2 90w panels would be too much. And as small as these units are, I wouldn't want to press one that far...

Guppy:

I saw one of these inverters on eBay & did a little research afterwards, apparently they are the cheapest grid tie inverter you can get (at least the cheapest I have seen @ $215).

FWIW, I thought I heard that they are out of production... you can check them out at Grid Tie Inverter.com-OK4U AC DC 100 watt power inverter

-Roger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:45 am GMT EthGMT 
Just FWIW:

I found a little more info on these "OK" inverters - there apparently is also an "OK5" inverter, which the manual also claims to be UL1741 approved... these units are rated for 200-500w range & claim to be up to 94% efficient (price/availability in U.S. unknown).

Check out www.nkf.nl/electronics/photovoltaics/ for info I found.

-Roger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:00 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

thanks guys, really appreciate the responses.i am just going the get 24 volt 100 watt panels for my inverters. i should have not jumped so fast. i have a battery bank that i will feed the 90 w panel to.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:57 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

I looked at the AD ... I have doubts this is really "UL" listed since they mention in the add "Field adjustable voltage and frequency limits " this is definantly NOT UL1741 approved !!!!!

I understand the seeming good low price but to be grid connected you need both AC and DC disconnects and the inverter has to be UL1741 approved.

If you notice they don't claim UL approval even though the unit has a UL sticker ... IMHO this isn't worth anything since you can't sell a product that claims to be UL approved that isn't

If you had one of these things plugged in and your house burnt down the insuance carrier could deny the claim since this is not UL approved. If you sell this to some-else then you become liable ... I realise that this seems remote but that doesn't make it not a real concern.

At a minimum understand what you are buying is NOT allowed to be connected to the grid legally , also not there return policy which basically your can't return it

It's this type of stuff that make me cringe and will in the end turn people off from solar power by fly-by-night outfits dumping junk on the market
[img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]