Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:13 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PV Module Power Ratings
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:54 pm GMT EthGMT 
Hello All!

As we all know, PV modules are rated at a insolation of 1000 watts per sq. meter with the temperature of the cells held at 25 degrees C. I've taken a close look at the spec. sheets from a couple of manufacturers and found the following:

1. For Siemens, now Shell, the SP75 is rated at between 70 watts and 75 watts under the above conditions. If a module produces between 65 and 70 watts, it is called an SP70. I saw no "typical power rating" so I wonder if my array of SP75s are really just a bit above 70 watts. This leads to another issue, the modules have a warranty to only lose 10% of rated power in 10 years and no more than 20% in 25 years -- after 10 years of operation is it a 10% loss from 75 watts or 70 watts, yielding 67.5 watts or 63 watts??

2. In the case of the Kyocera, the KC120 is rated at a "typical" production of 120 watts under the above conditions. Unless the minimum wattage is too low, this suggests that Kyocera watts may actually be larger than Siemens/Shell watts.

Does anyone have rating descriptions on other company's modules?

Gordon

Post subject: PV Module Power Ratings
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:58 pm GMT EthGMT 
Does anyone know how I can get laboratory test measurements on production Siemens, now Shell SP-75s? I have doubts about the current production vs insolation on my panels.

Gordon