Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:00 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SG-View no go
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:36 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

40 Sanyo 200 panels into 4 strings down to two Xantrex Grid-tie GT4.0N-Na inverters with two strings a piece. Interconnected by the Xanbus ports with RJ45 straight through cable and the network terminators installed correctly. Db9 adapters out of each inverter with a separate straight through RJ45 cable from each inverter to a wall plate with two RJ45 jacks. A length of Cat5 straight through cable to a Db9 adapter into my laptop. All cables tested good with my new cable tester.
I wired the DB9 adapters all the same way. I figured that since the only pins being used by the inverter were the 2,3,and5 that straight through cables would be a constant throughout.
When all is said and done, GT-View And SG-View do not show any readings and only state "Offline" when connected.
Wired directly from the inverter to my laptop with the Xanbus interconnection removed, same results.
I will test on a different laptop when I get my power cord in the mail.
Upon checking all this out I realized I was getting only single inverter readings instead of combined readings with the Xanbus interconnection cable installed.
A call to Xantrax got me poor communication at customer service although she did try to help me, but ended with "send back the Inverter". Not what I wanted to hear. A disconnection. Then a callback produced better communication, advised to try a reboot of inverters which I did not try (it was raining and there is a big puddle in front of the inverters), and to isolate each inverter with the computer terminal. I think I had only tried one inverter. They said it is unlikely they are both shot.
Anybody have any problems like this.
System is up and running, both inverters producing. I am very happy with the system otherwise.
I installed the system on my roof myself with very few problems except for the Networking. (and maybe a couple of extra holes in my roof ). I love it, particularly having to pay the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA-NY) some of the highest, if not the highest, rates in the country. They are proposing a 17% increase over the next five years. They are also supposed to give me a $3.50 per Watt rebate.

Post subject: Re: SG-View no go
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:23 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Your post is unclear, you stated you don't get readings with or without the cat5 runs and then say you only get single inverter readings

Couple of things,

First, the xanbus interconnect is standard network cables, regardless of what SG-View shows, the LCD should report system total wattage when a standard network cable is used to connect the two inverters

On the laptop, get a cheap usb to rs232 converters, there under 10 dollars. If you have wired things one to one and only used pins 2,3, & 5, everything will work fine. Make sure also you have selected the proper comm port

I doubt the inverters are at fault, its likely your cables or laptop.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:35 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

I'm leaning that way a little.
For clarification, the two inverters connected together by way of a single straight through RJ45/Cat5 cable show readings of each inverter alone when you tap each inverter individually , not a combined total of the two inverters. That is at the inverters themselves.
According to Xantrax, the Xanbus network will not conflict with the RS232/DB9/computer network. Or visa versa. So even if my adapters are wrong(maybe), my readings at the inverter should be valid with a combined total, and give me seven displays instead of the five that I get.
As for the GT View on the computer, I have the RS232 /DB9 adapters installed to RJ45 straight through Cat5 wire.
The only thing I can see is that I used all the wires in the adapter, but wired them all the same way. The wires were not of the same colors as the Cat5 cable and hard to tell which lead went to what prong of the jack. My thoughts were if only the 2-3-5 pins were used by the software, and all cables are straight through and all adapters wired the same, I would be okay. It's the weak link in my theory.
I guess I'll rewire the adapters and see what happens.
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:45 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

The system data only shows in the default display ( system ac watts ), when you tap the LCD, your then showing the unit data ( using the network cable ) and yes Xanbus and RS232 can both be used

Start simple, use db9<->db9 2,3,5 straight thru and verify the PC works. Then move on to figure out your custom wiring which sounds suspect by your description of colors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:08 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Okay, so I'll get a prefab db9 cable and I expect the 2,3,5 pins to be straight through. If so will the other pins be unused by the computer, or will the computer try to use them for something else, ground,FTP in,FTP out. Or should I make a temporary db9 cable using cat5 and just wire the 2,3,5 pins. I still have to try a second laptop, just in case my jack is shot on the one I'm using, which is possible considering the laptop.

Also, when I tap the display on either inverter, I get different readings for each. Not a combined reading of both, even though the network cable is plugged in. I do not get the same(combined system totals) reading out of either inverter for any screen display.

I should get 5 screens of combined system totals and then 2 more of individual inverter readings for a total of 7 screens. I only get 5.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:32 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

if you are familiar with an ohm-meter, that is usually on many dmms, you could verify the connections are where they are supposed to be on the wires and that there aren't any breaks/shorts. do this without the wire connected to the pc or anything else or you could blow out the meter. straight through means 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc. if you are in doubt then you can see how rj45s are wired here, http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/cabl ... htm#cables

Last edited by niel on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:31 am GMT EthGMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:59 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

All my cables are wired to the 568A standard. I am considering that to be straight through. All of my DB9 adapters are wired with the pins in the same configuration. I have yet to set them all up with just the three pins the inverters call for.
Work and the holidays have kept me from getting much done. I am still producing 20kw total on a good sunny day, so I am only slightly concerned about the software hook-up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:41 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

I agree with SG, and that you should start with just a regular DB9 (serial) cable plugged from inverter to computer (provided it has serial port on the computer, as neither of mine do). Once you can conclude that everything is working OK on that front, then work towards the cable creation using Cat5 cable. I used Cat5 wire to setup my monitoring, but I only have 1 inverter and 20 panels (half your system). The key here is to make sure you write down what colors you use when you make your DB9 connector using the Cat5 wire (I had to run back to my inverter to double check). Go to radio shack, and get some DB9 connectors, and make sure you buy 1 extra for each type you need to prevent having to run back later if something happens to one of them. My wiring is all done using Cat5 as per the below:

Inverter (DB9 - Male I believe) to a Cat5 jack in the wall wired using 568A. Line from wall run to computer room Cat5 to jack in the wall using 568A. 568A line run to computer with DB9 connector on the end. DB9 connector into Serial-to-USB converter. Then USB into computer.

Be careful if you get the DB9 to USB converter as not all are compatible with Windows Vista. I ended up spending the $30 for the Radio Shack one, as it stated it was Vista compatible. It works just fine. I only wired pins 2, 3, 5 on my DB9 connectors and cut the other 5 wires back so they weren't close to the connector. I hope you get everything setup and can start monitoring your system on the computer! As far as your production of 20 kw/h a day, that's about what I would expect from a system in the NE. I get about 10 kw/h on a good day and that puts me in line with your figures since your system is twice the size of mine.

Hope you get it up and running!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:24 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

I like the idea of just using a DB9 cable directly to my computer, to make sure it all works. Very simple. Should have thought of that already.
I'm just glad that I'm producing. I'm up to 36Kw on a full day of sun. I'm hoping it doubles come summer.
I will work on the cables today, 1/20/09. It's been in the teens and rainy or snowing. My fingers stop working after about 10 minutes of that.

I see all this was suggested, and I commented on it too. I don't know why I have not already tried this. Must be the weather.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:10 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Okay, I received a six foot DB9 cable and tried it out right to my laptop, and what do you know?
Success. Both inverters have working networks. I also know my laptop and SGview are working.
So it's off to re-wire the Cat5 to DB9 jacks. Twenty minutes later all back together, no luck inside the house. So I guess I'm tracing back from the Inverters. Bummer. I'm starting to entertain USB connections.
Still producing. Up to 47.25Kwh combined in one day. The longer the days get the happier I am.
Thanks to all who helped. I'm happier now, more than yesterday.