Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:09 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:51 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

I have no idea about maintenance, but hoping If, (huge if) use a different a/c system rather than straight electric I may be able to down size solar system alot. If i was on the grid I would not mind too much, but I do not have that luxury, I am at a loss.

Anyway I am off to investigate different alternate a/c operations. Definately report back my numbers.

S.G. do you have any energy consumption usage for your a/c system and what is the actual ac system.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:55 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Well still waiting on some quotes for the solar or gas driven absorption cooler systems.

Will be back to this thread when I do.

Post subject: Re: Solar Guppy Hardware
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:48 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

animatt wrote:
I am also thinking about a Styrofoam block construction, then poured concrete and rebar filling. This will add a lot of insulation. As it is about 2 inches of Styrofoam each side of the wall. Also windows will be not as large as I would design if not dealing with making this place energy efficient.

Something that caught my eye recently, has been Dry Stack Concrete Block, starts with a conventional foundation, and then the blocks are stacked dry. A coating of something like stucco (but strong fiber reinforced) is applied inner and outer surfaces, and you have solid walls. After they set, you fill the corners and every couple of feet with rebar and concrete. Insulate the OUTER wall, and then the mass of the concrete blocks helps reduce the thermal swings.

What's the humidity like ? Really dripping wet, or dry like Arizona ? That may influence the amount of A/C needed. Also, there is a new A/C unit in development that uses a water bath to cool the working media (freon), supposed to be more effective than finned tube and fans. Just need a shaded evap pond to keep the water bath somewhat cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:44 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Going to probably go an strong block wall. Filled with concrete and rebar.
Going to use foil black insulation. Something like and r-10. Then a 4 inch fiberglass insulation space. Then just sheetrock. Probably getting into the low 20's in the respect or R values.

Dripping wet humid. Makes ac more needed.

Was going to go foam block fill rebar and concrete but it uses much more rebar. And prices have skyrocketed here recently. Close to up 100 percent in about a year. That would have had around an R-20.
Plus the layer of foil back insulation. Would have brought it to a R-30 with a great thermal mass. But I will put the difference in construction expense to alternate energy system. And other efficiencies