Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:49 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trace Engineering Conversion Center shutting off every 15min
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:03 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Hello,
I'm posting this for my uncle; We're in kind of a bind, so if anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated. We're staying at my grandfather's house on a remote island in Maine, and because of the island's location, the house is powered by a combination solar inverter/diesel generator with propane for heating water. After a week of working fine, this very dependable 7 year old system started having a problem: despite the batteries charging properly, and the Trace Engineering Power Conversion Center (model SW4048) goes into a sort of standby mode every 15 minutes exactly. If we go out to the shed where the system's controls are, and manually switch it from standby to active, the system continues to work properly. A major complicating factor seems to be that the diesel generator, which normally engages when the batteries fall below 85% or when there is a heavy drain on the power, is not working, so perhaps that's the problem. We're having a professional (the guy who installed the system) out to fix it, but because of the tides we need to basically book six hours of his time to get him to and from the island, and more if there's a serious issue, so it is going to be several days before he can clear that much time, and we have a 14 year old girl on the island who is getting whiny. If anyone has any suggestions for bypassing this standby mode so that we can make full and continuous use of the power that the solar panels are providing (we're generating more than we are using at this point), I would love to hear about it. I'm about to start my slog through the manual, but anybody that could even point me in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Trace Engineering Conversion Center shutting off every 15min
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:40 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

If it's shutting down and the generator is not working, you are most likely low on power. Got another generator to use to charge the batteries ?
a couple days of low batteries, and you have ruined them. STOP USING POWER and let the solar charge the stuff up, or you will loose the batteries. Get another generator running now, to charge batteries.

I'll be the "standby mode" is a low power cut-off. You are not supposed to bypass it unless you have new batteries in your pocket. (or grandmas iron lung really needs to keep pumping)

Without any voltage reading from you, I'm just guessing.