Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:52 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Charging the truck
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:10 am GMT EthGMT 
HI Solar-Guppy
Still wondering about charging the 120V DC S-10 pick-up. The S-10 was converted by the Solar Car Corp.(now out of business), and came with (7) 50watt PV panels neatly placed on the hood, roof and topper top. I bought it used, with bad batteries, and none of the panels generated more than a trickle of power. I presently charge it from the grid, but it still has some kind of inverter on board that was used to charge the truck. I don't have any information on the inverter, but it was somehow taking the 7X 12v=84V and converting it into 120Vs. It also seems to have another inverter (or maybe using the wrong term? converter?) to step down the voltage to 12V for the lights, etc.
I'm having second thoughts about the inertie system with the grant money, and I may run out of time (this year) anyhow. Now I'm thinking about buying new panels for the truck, and hopefully the inverter will work. I still would like to find a way to convert the truck's 120V power for back up when the grid is down; mainly for our refrigerators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:48 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

You have 10 , 12 volt nominal batteries , which will be at 120 volts only when discharged , durring charging it will be 140-150 volts

I know of no commerical chargers/inverters that do this , I would suggest you use google for the EV sites , there are places that have the DIY equipement for these vechiles and would most likely have what your looking for.

Post subject: truck panels
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:59 pm GMT EndGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

hi
i am just wondering what type of panels you have in the truck.
if you do not know the watts? if not what size are they in inches.
i live in lake alfred & might be intrested in buying them from you, would help offset some of the price on the new ones you buy