Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where is the best place to put the inverter / batteries?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:52 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

I am attempting to get a PV system installed on my garage roof. However, there is a bit of debate about the location of the components.

As previously answered by Solar Guppy, I too now think it is best to bring the wires through the roof to the combiner box. The location of the combiner box is to be in the mechanical room, which would limit the run of the expensive MC cables.

However, there is then a choice about the XW6048 inverter and the batteries. Would it be better or even OK to just have all the components in this room? Or does the inverter / batteries have to go in the garage? From researching the NEC, it seems that having the inverter in the mechanical room would be OK, but I can't determine about the batteries.

The conditions in the room are actually cooler than the garage for awhile, but towards the afternoon the room would probably be warmer than the garage. However, the room isn't burning up, everything was built to keep the heat out of the house.

If the components were in the mechanical room then just the 240V output wires would have to be run down to the garage.

Otherwise, these components will be taking up a huge portion of wall and floor space in the garage, more than I had figured on.

Thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: Where is the best place to put the inverter / batteries?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:45 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Its really about the wire, the Battery's should be next to the inverter as your looking at 100's of amps and even with short runs you need 4 AUT on the battery to inverter connections. You can go 30-50 feet on the charge controller to battery connection, but you will need 2 or 4 gauge to do this.

Also the charge controller and inverter are not designed for outdoor locations ... They can tolerate some heat, but don't stick the in a location that will get over 100F in the summer heat. For the life of the electronics I would suggest they are in conditioned area, like a utility room ... the battery's are even more picky and absoulty hate ( reduced life ) heat.