Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:19 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: 9-pin D connector?
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 6:59 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
Quote:
Let me rephrase that. Make that a request for total DC (PV) output, similar to total AC output.

DC Power is Column 5 , AC Power is Column 6 in the current log files ...

Are you suggesting FishBowl adds a Column for the efficiency calculations ? or did you just miss that DC power is already in the log file ?

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 9:14 pm GMT ErdGMT 
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Solar Guppy:
DC Power is Column 5 , AC Power is Column 6 in the current log files ...

Are you suggesting FishBowl adds a Column for the efficiency calculations ? or did you just miss that DC power is already in the log file ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm currently using Column 5. The minor request is for DC equivalent of column 8.

The column 8 data tells me total output for the day. This would let me eliminate a calculation. I'm just trying simplify the interface for a real time grapher for total output.

As I mumbled earlier, I realized that the DC number is less interesting on STXR because it is only useful for calculating efficiencies. With my SW based system I had to log the DC out (PV out) separately to know what the panels produced. AC output from the inverters was not sufficient.

arnold

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 11:37 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Quote:
The column 8 data tells me total output for the day. This would let me eliminate a calculation. I'm just trying simplify the interface for a real time grapher for total output.

I'll give it some thought ...

Maybe in the next release of the beta 1.3 ...

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:01 am GMT EthGMT 
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William P N Smith:
Does FishBowl close daily logs so they can be read out over (say) a network connection, or does it just create One Giant File? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it closes the file when it's done. It creates separate files each day and they have the date as part of the file name. If you try to access the file while Fishbowl is logging to it, Fishbowl will probably crash. This is not a bug though since you should not be trying to access the file while it's being written to.

Again, I would recommend an XP machine and use remote desktop to access it. This way you could also open the logs remotely to veiw them without having to suck the file across the wire.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William P N Smith:
What happens if the computer crashes while the file is open?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Windows crash? [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img] Seriously, I've had my logging XP laptop running continuously for months without any problems. However, if it did crash, you would not loose the part of the log that was already created (at least not under most circumstances).

I'm not talking about the DB9, I'm talking about the port you plug the Remote Meter into, which is next to the DB9...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I missread your post.

I'm sure Henry can better explain why this may or may not be possible.

[ May 03, 2003: Message edited by: Mark Lopez ]

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:21 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Yikes ... Gone for one night and 8 posts !

First on the costs ... the USB opto is no more expensive than the rs232/485/powerline module that you MUST buy for a sunnyboy , actually is about 50 bucks CHEAPER

On using the 12 volts Suntine Power (remote connector)

DO NOT DO THIS UNDER ANY CONDITION !!!

There is NOT any spare power availble , thi s is a regulated internal supply that loading it down will effect the inverter and could prevent proper operation and power up !!!

ON the data size , about 4MB/day for one second logging , version 1.3 , which will be available soon has user selectible interval , so files can be much smaller

As for a computer , run an older laptop , with USB and USB optos and you'll be allset. I agree with Mark , run XP with remote desktop and you can watch the inverter from anywhere in the world if the PC is network connected , that what we both do

FishBowl is design to run unattended and automatically makes new daily log files and with version 1.3 a totals file (seperate for each inverter).

Fishbowl and the Suntie will fit the bill for your needs

Henry [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:36 am GMT EthGMT 
Well, something that I would find worthwhile for Fishbowl 1.3 is a mode that writes a summary entry to a "mailbox file" at set intervals. The file would be overwritten at each interval. That would make it easy for another program to grab the data and use it (like Cricket, http://sourceforge.net/projects/cricket/) to plot the power output in real time.

It would also be nice if the data like the DC input would either be given as a counter instead of as rate. Since I know what interval the data is being logged at I can compute the rate. If a program missed a data drop it will still have correct data because the next data point will contain accumulated data.

AC output is already in the output as a counter (kWh for the day).

Henry, what is the available precision in the numbers that Fishbowl displays/logs?

Oh, currently I'm using wireless ethernet and remote desktop to access the laptop that is running Fishbowl. It also is sharing the directory that has the data so I can grab it remotely.

arnold

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:37 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

/*
On using the 12 volts Suntine Power (remote connector)

DO NOT DO THIS UNDER ANY CONDITION !!!

There is NOT any spare power availble , thi s is a regulated internal supply that loading it down will effect the inverter and could prevent proper operation and power up !!!
*/

Well, there's certainly power available to run the Remote Meter, so a small dc-dc converter and an opto-isolator can't be that hard to do. On the other tentacle, if you have a supported USB opto solution, that's probably good enough.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:51 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Quote:
Well, something that I would find worthwhile for Fishbowl 1.3 is a mode that writes a summary entry to a "mailbox file"

Use "perl" and sendmail ... it would be a 8 line script for your special needs

Quote:
It would also be nice if the data like the DC input would either be given as a counter instead of as rate

I don't understand what you are saying , all DC readings are values , like volts , amps , watts

Quote:
Henry, what is the available precision in the numbers that Fishbowl displays/logs?

DC volts is 1/8th of a volt , DC amps is 1/16th amp , Watts one Watt.

Quote:
If a program missed a data drop

Why would the program miss anything , if the inverter is online , its sending data once a second

If the computer goes offline (crashes) anything that happens is not stored and any attempt to display or store data for this period is simply a guess ... My FishBowl computer is running 24/7 for 6 month without a crash .. I use a computer based on the mini-itx form factor , it draws 11 watts (measured) , I also run the http and ftp servers 24/7 on the same type of computer (mini-itx)

Take a look at mini-itx information to learn more

Henry [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

[ May 03, 2003: Message edited by: Solar Guppy ]

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:51 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

/*
As for a computer , run an older laptop , with USB and USB optos and you'll be allset
*/

I'd like to stay away from old laptops, they tend to be either fragile or run kinda warm, and the environment the inverters and computer will be in ranges between 64 and 92 degrees F (average about 80), with an average humidity of 77 percent. Ideally I'd like a PC with no fans, as those are always the first thing to sieze up...

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:57 am GMT EthGMT 
Well, there's certainly power available to run the Remote Meter, so a small dc-dc converter and an opto-isolator can't be that hard to do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trust Henry on this one, you don't want to try using that voltage for anything. I think Henry now knows more about the workings and capability of that supply than the guys who designed and built it. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next