Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:55 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex Ground fault light.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Xantrex Ground fault light.
At 12PM today February15th 2011 one of my Inverters stopped inverting. There were no fault codes shown onscreen, and all the typical readings were scrolled through like always. Online today, lifetime totals, etc,etc. The Ground Fault light remains on and the readings scroll through even now at 7PM.
I am aware of the recall on these inverters, and I have been using two such Inverters on two separate arrays for over two years without a hitch. I installed them and had them inspected by a licensed Electrician.
I have not checked the fuse and I am not anxious to crack the case open. I know I can swap the fuse with my working inverter. But that might just leave me with two blown fuses and still one bad Inverter.
I will be on the roof tomorrow looking for the obvious, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this symptom and remedied it.
The light stays on and the readings display like always without a trouble code.

Post subject: Re: Xantrex Ground fault light.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:24 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Sounds like the fuse .... check the PV+ and PV- measured to ground if there is a large potentional on PV- to GND you have a pinched wire somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:05 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Bad news. Squirrel!!!!!!!!!!
I heard him this morning and my son saw him while he was waiting for the school bus.
I cut back all the trees to keep them out, and put metal floor lathe around almost all entrances, and now a squirrel has found his way to the second floor and under my Solar. A 12 inch opening.
Shut down half my system. I lost 18 kwh. yesterday alone, and I can not fix it for about 2 weeks.
As soon as I figure out how he's getting up there I'll stop further damage.
F-ing Squirrel. I'm pissed. RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:32 am GMT EndGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

I'm sure you have seen the hot dog cookers that are just prongs wired to the AC cord, that insert into the ends of the wieners... just a bit of rewire on your array wire..... Roast Squirrel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:18 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Hi - I have a similar problem. I have a GT 5.0 inverter which was only installed a week ago. Its worked fine until now making around 18 kw per day even though its winter here in Australia right now. However today I checked it and the red "ground fault" LED is on with no messages displayed. Also knocking the panel doesn't get the light on or show any messages either...

One thing though. The switch for the solar system on the house main circuit board was turned off yesterday morning (as the electrical inspector was coming to check out the installation in a few days). Our installer told me to do this as its not supposed to be connected to the grid until the inspector signs it off, (he left in on for the first week so I would get the benefit of the system until then).

Is that why the red LED is on? Has it detected that its not connected to the grid? And therefore will it reset itself if I switch it back on, on my house switch board? (I'm afraid its night here now so I can't try that one until tomorrow).
The manual says there should be messages on the screen to accompany the red LED... Any clues?

OK - some follow up from the next day... :D

With a bit of sunlight the red LED has gone out and the message "Inverter off line" etc was displayed. :o

When I switched the system off at the house switch board it restarted and is working no problem.
So thats 1 abnormal event not mentioned in the inverter's manual; If you switch the system off at the switchboard, you will get the AC voltage fault message during daylight, but once the sunlight goes the red LED appears with no messages.

IMHO it might be worth Xantrex putting that in the fault finding section. The only reference to the red LED at present (in my manual anyway) suggests any time you get the red LED - call a technician, as its a ground fault and only they can fix it! There are numerous reasons why one might turn off the system at the switchboard, so this behaviour should be referred to, avoiding unnecessary call outs of electricians etc (in Australia you can't legally play with this stuff yourself). :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:50 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

My problem resulted from bare wires shorting out the string. Squirrel chewed down to the copper on both leads. I am now operating the grid without the one panel and producing a little less. I am also finding out my three year old 200 watt panel may be un-fixable. I might have to replace it with another. Very unhappy.
So my ground fault light although telling me I had a problem, only re-enforced the fact that my grid was not on.
Good luck with your system. Go Solar