Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:16 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex GT Inverter Recall
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:20 am GMT EstGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Just about the entire lifetime production of the Xantrex GT inverters have been recalled, see the link below for details

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11099.html

According to Xantrex, its an issue with China produced capacitors, that when they fail, gas out combined with a spark source has caused 5 units out of 25,000 in the field to explosively have the BOS access panel blow off. There have been countless manufactures of electronic devices ( computers for example ) harmed of the past few years by similar capacitor issues, this is the first I have read where there can be an explosive outcome.

Maybe the cost saving for having things built and sourced component wise in China isn't all the saving is cracked up to be :roll:

An update , I called the 800 number and it is a simple swap out of the BOS pcb. Xantrex ships out the board for free, and you OR an installer swaps out the PCB, They are paying $250 for the first unit and $150 for each additional unit on the same site

It has nothing to do with power electronics, it all in the BOS box, there are three caps on the AC line for EMI supression, sounds like they are shorting out and causing the problems. So I'll get 400 bucks for a 2 hours work

Post subject: Re: Xantrex GT Inverter Recall
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:48 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Update on the recall for one unit in service and delivery of new GT2.8. On 31 Jan 2011 I was informed by Xantrex CS that they are still working the problem and did not have replacement units available. No idea when the problem would be solved. My recall part and the new unit I ordered in mid Nov are on hold.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:12 am GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

What is the "BOS pcb" and where is it located. There is no mention of it in the GT manual that came with the inverter I have. They don't even have a B catagory in the glossary.
I'm guessing its the box between the lines in and out.
Anyone have a picture of the replacement part Schnieder is sending out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:45 am GMT EstGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Anyone got any notices from Xantrex?
I haven't and this is the first I heard - I got two units in Mai and just sent an e-mail to their customer service.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:14 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

I just called and FINALLY got through after leaving a message, this is my 3rd time tying since recieving the notice. I told them who I was and why I was calling and they wanted to send the part to my dealer for installation. I told them my dealer is a website and I did the installation my self. They were reluctant, but agreed to send me the new part at home. I was also informed that I would have to sign a consent form qualifying myself for the installation and relieving them of any liability of me injuring myself durring the install. They also said that since the compensation is intended pay for the cost of the installation, it was not likely that I would be able to be compensated :x . They also said that the installation is not simply replacement of a PCB but that I would need to remove a capacitor from the PCB, then connect a new PCB in its place. I'm not sure how that is supposed to work but they said it does not involve soldering and they would E-Mail me the directions. Does this sound right? I talked to Dustin at Schneider Electric's customer service VIA telephone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:28 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Just confirmed, no compensation for home users who do the installation themselves. Apparently our time is worthless. :x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:27 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

is this a world-wide recall?
I'm in Germany currenlty and a friend installed a GT3.3 early last year.

The only official notification for me was last week a letter from my utility company, but nothing from Xantrex as of yet.

My friend had no idea about any recall - any advice I can give him?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:43 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

The EU version don't have the BOS box, which is where the part is that is being recalled is located, so your friend so be fine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:50 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

SG, you keep saying that this is in the BOS box? My understanding is that the BOS box is the wiring box attached to the bottom of the inverter. If this is the case, then the repair in question is not in the BOS box, it is the capacitors on the PCB immediately right of the display screen. I have a PDF of installation instructions in case you don't have one. Basically you use pliers to twist the crappy chinese capacitors off the board and then plug a new patch board between the existing board and the AC wiring and retro fit it in to the case using thier supplied hardware.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

I was lead to believe it was the 3 caps on the AC line in the BOS ... I'll have to wait to see wait till I get my kit I guess