Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:07 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:09 am GMT EstGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Well the solar at least is outperforming all of my expectations of the past few months. On a good clear day it may generate more than half our electrical needs. Even the past 2 days when you couldn't even tell where the sun was in the sky and it was snowing in really rotton conditions, the snow continuously melted off the array, it stayed clear of Ice and we generated 2.6kwh on one of those days, the previous day got just 1/2 a kwh, but I didn't expect anything from it. Today its very hazy and its generating 1000w or so, the windmill seems to be doing its part, we are having 40 to 50 mph gusts with sustained winds at 15 to 20. It speeds up and slows down. But I would agree that they dont seem to behave as advertised. It seems to take more than an 8mph wind to generate power and it doesn't seem to shut down in 20mph winds. It actually doesn't seem to generate alot of power until a 30mph wind comes up. Then it really spins and generates what they advertised. I think this may be due to the intermittent nature of the wind where we live and the fact that winds are almost never sustained at 15mph and higher for more than a minute or 2 and it takes time to spin up to a given RPM. This thing isn't really Idea for our application. All that being said, the windmill is generating power today, but it ussually is not sustained long enough to really build surplus energy like the solar power does. Expect more like 400 to 800 watts continuous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:14 am GMT EstGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

This is why most of the regulars say stay clear of wind, its WAY over hyped. As for expecting power from 8mph, the energy isn't there, wind energy is a cubic function and for ANY wind generator, you will need a sustained 15-20mph MINIMUM to get usable power, anyone that tells you otherwise is just pimping the product

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:36 am GMT EstGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Yeah, I didn't think it would perform well were I live either. I tried to tell my parents Who payed for both systems that they would save more with an all solar setup. We payed more for the wind power than the solar and the solar outperforms the wind by leaps and bounds. But the nice thing is that the wind does generate some power about 15% to 20% of the time and it doesn't matter if its night or day, cloudy or sunny. But it wont save you the advertised 400wkh per month unless you live in a suburb of 1 story houses on the coast or unless you live on a hilltop. We live in a valley that we thought was funnelling the wind, but apparently not as often as my parents had hoped. The solar however, is better than I expected, Im sorry I didn't try to convince them harder, but you live and learn. We should have put the windmill on a 75' to 100' tower. Not a 50' when we have mostly 35' to 45' and a couple 50' trees within the 500' radius specified. You really need about 5 acres of clear land for the system to work as advertised, not just 1 acre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:02 pm GMT EstGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

Just FYI, today is one hell of a windy day. As of noon, we generated 5.273 kwh with solar and there was a thick haze over the sun up to that point which is why solar output is low, but the Skystream is the big surprise, I was expecting that it may generate 1 extra kwh like usual, but we had pumped more than 15 kwh back in to the grid today, if my math serves me correctly, even not accounting for what the house loads were (Im sure they used 2.5kwh at least today) the windmill generated at least 10 kwh so far today, maybe up to 15 kwh!!!! I guess it does work after all. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:57 pm GMT EstGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

those conditions are the exception and not the norm, but you are the first that i recall anyone saying they have a working skystream. :shock: you are right that more pvs would've done better considering the power generated every month and weighing in on the armortized costs and maintenance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:35 pm GMT EstGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

I agree, and upon further conversations with my father, who is at home now monitoring the system, it looks like he misread the meter and the total output today for the windmill was probably less than 4kwh maybe 5kwh may. Pitiful. It was a cloudy day today and the solar produced 3 times that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:50 pm GMT EstGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

As the months and years go by the PV will continue to produce and you will be cursing the wind as in the same time many things will break. I would guess in less than 2 years the wind will be down for the count and no one will bother to replace or fix it ...