Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:16 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: new xw mppt ...is this right data
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:58 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

just got the xw mppt60-150 , i noticed that the output still matches whatever the battery voltage is. the input at one point was 84 volts @ 2 amps input was 50 volts @3 this was at 5:30 pm. when i changed the float voltage on the sw 4048 to 48....the output also went to 48@ 3 amps(I'm just testing the cc) the input was still at 84@2 amps this is not doing what i thought a dc to dc converter should do. my whole setup includes 2 strings of 3 evergreen es 190's , 16 12 volt batteries in series parallel for 48 volt configuration (they are cross tied) 2 sw 4048's series tied for 240 volts and the xw mppt60-150 setup with defaults
can you give me an ideal as to what i should be seeing on output and input @12 noon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:02 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Make sure the XW is settup for 48V and that the SW charger is OFF

As for voltages, the output will always be the battery voltage and will increase as the current increases limited by the state of charge of the batteries

As for numbers your vmp should be @70-76 volts if the unit is mppt tracking and it can only be mppt if the battery voltage is lower than the charger setpoints ( meaning battery can accept a charge )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:36 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

I'm not sure what your saying when you said make sure the charger is off on the inverter, the software version has changed some and there isnt a way to turn the charger off. i can set my float voltage low and the charger amps to 1 amp but thats all i can find in the menus for the inverter.
my new question is this would it be better to have 4 48volt battery banks or one large one, i have 16 deep cycle batteries , any help would be great
also i remember who you are now.... i spoke with you on the phone last year thanks for all your help then and now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:23 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

I have never used an SW inverter, I have a XW-6048 which allows the charger to be turned off. I thought the SW has the same feature ( enable/disable charging ) but I can't say for sure

It perferred to have a single string of batteries, but 4 banks in parrallel is OK, just check the strings every few months seperate from the others ( or measure each 6 volt battery ) to make sure the voltages are all similar