Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:56 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:44 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

so the complete xw line is completely built in china?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:38 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

with all of the stuff coming out of china lately that has been defective or tainted with recalls all over the place, this may come back to bite them in the butt even if unfounded by consumer fears. maybe they do need an additional option such as mexico as you just never know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:45 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

well I for one would tend to stear my customers towards products based in the states i know some components come from china and where not but we can at least assemble them and test them here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:45 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

almost nothing componet wise is built in the states , all the semiconductors are from phillipines, india, taiwan ect .. litterally nothing is US based these days in most electronics, so you just talking about where it is phyically assembled. Since the parts all come the far east, it's more logical to assemble there as well

I understand the "Built in the USA thing" but the days are long gone that it really means anything more than final assembly ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:27 am GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

i'm not refering to the built in usa thing, but i'm refering to the lable assembled in china as a possible detriment to a consumer's eyes. i know it really doesn't matter and that the parts are all foreign and have been for a long time with few exceptions, but the consumer does make equations like china=recalls. ever wonder why more than half of the cars sold today are now foreign? everytime you turn around the domestic cars were being recalled and sued for shotty safety causing injury and death. it is in the news now almost every week with china recalls and it will stick in their minds. heck, i used to get this real good salmon from a store near us, but the other half says no to it now because it came from china. that's the mentallity i refer to and i do miss that salmon as the other brand wasn't that good for twice the price. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:50 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

Re the China thing its all relative, I think my C40 was made in china and works fine 2 years in and I see many for sale secondhand which are 6/7 years old. Xantrex are offering the illusive XW60 mppt cc with a five year warranty and its there responsibilty to honor it. So I imagine the man in charge has picked his manufacturer with a little bit more care and safe guards than the man from mattel making plastic dolls and cars. China is like every other country it has the good the bad and the ugly (hey the UK made Rover Cars and Bentlys hows that for bad and good!) and I suspect that if the new XW60 is as good as SG indicates and offers the best performance per $ then very few people will care about its origin of manufacturer and put faith instead in Xantrex and its 5 year warranty.
Chinese salmon maybe a different kettle of fish, from probably the most polluted continent on the planet, your wife made an informed decision, have you stopped glowing in the dark now ? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:41 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

yes the informed person in the market will not see china as a detriment, but i look at people and really wonder about them as they're not all quite there if you know what i mean. hopefully that does not apply too much to those into solar as we must learn more than the average person does about the products being bought.

"Chinese salmon maybe a different kettle of fish, from probably the most polluted continent on the planet, your wife made an informed decision, have you stopped glowing in the dark now ?"

yes, that is true, but it tasted so much better than others i've eaten. glow in the dark? yea, i probably still do as i did some nuclear work about 15+ years ago. #-o :badgrin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:52 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Hi, any accessories similar to the SWCA adapter for the XW line ?
I couldn't find any on Xantrex web site besides the control panel plugged into the Xan-bus. Thanks.
GP
PS: I found a "CANbus to RS232" from the NAWS board. But sound like this is for Xantrex service people, not end-users.