Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any Deals to be Had?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:22 pm GMT EthGMT 
Building off-grid home. Will be using Outback stuff. 48V inverters. Would like to have array voltage higher than battery voltage, 60V nominal array. Located in cold climate, high altitude, would be concerned about going to a 72V nominal array.

Any deals to be had?

Thanks,
DCJake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:34 pm GMT EstGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

No , panel prices are on the rise and it look like 4.00 watt is making a come back ... Other countrys Japan , Germany and Spain all have huge RE programs consuming all availble production. It also doesn't help the we have a weak dollar , the US is not attractive to manufactures when they get more for their product else where and in a stronger currency ... I fear this is not just a blip on the screen ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:48 pm GMT EstGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

This may be a little late to help. After a lot of web searching the best price on panels I could find was at www.beyondoilsolar.com.

Purchased 4xPW1650-165's for $2374.14 including shipping to DFW (after the cash discount). They were quite easy to work with.

After all the news I saw about a panel shortage I was worried if my solar powered garage was going to out live the backlog, but they were ordered on 9/1 and delivered on 9/15 direct from Photowatt.

Glenn

Post subject: PV price comparison page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:43 am GMT EthGMT 
Dameslfish
Dameslfish

http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/solar_panels.htm

I paid about 2,380 with shipping a while back for 4 Sharp 185's from SunElec in Miami early this summer.
Now it would be over 2,800 min from any of the ones in that link IF they are in stock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:37 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

I can't believe I timed it right on my 36 pw-16500-155's I got from Sun Electric last November , 387.50 , cash and carry price (2.50 watt)

I will be expanding my arrays at some point , but at 3.60 watt , i'm going to sit tight for awhile

So Far , My Photowatts have performed excellent , I would recommend these panels above Kyocera for sure.

That's a good link to (ecobiz) ... been awhile since I have see an accurate on !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:42 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

:D Just a curious question..why would you recommend the Photowatts over the Kyoceras?

Thanks,
Adiel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:49 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

There has been a terrible failure rate with the 2000-2001 vintage of KC-120's. I've heard of multi-sites having massive , like 20-30% rate , of panel failures

Kyocera is making good on the warrentys , but there also being mute there is a very seriuos issues with that time frame panels.

In the October 2004 Home power , there is a write-up of the redesigned Suntie (now 2 year ago) and that array just got a total replacement , yes thats 24 panels from Kyocera ...

But no matter what , DON'T BUY USED KC-120's !!! , I expect to start seeing them float into eBay ...