Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:11 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Evergreen ES-170 or Solarworld/Shell SW175 better long term?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:51 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I'm looking to install a 5kW array on my homestead in central Florida and I plan on being here a long time. I'm finding it hard to locate real information on the long term durability of panels. I notice that most large/utility scale installations use panels that look like the Solarworld/Shell 175. I was looking at the Evergreen because I found them as low as $3.5 per watt and the Solarworld are $4.60 per watt.

Any thoughts on which panels will last longer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:30 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

I'm guessing the Evergreens are seconds from Sunelec.com. You should make sure those panels quailfiy for our rebate program as I would think they don't carry the full 25 year factory warrenty and are technically for only outside US sales

The Shells, which I assume your getting from Solar-Source are top notch panels and mono, not poly silicon, which means they are high efficiency panels

I'm also planning on adding 5kw to snag the rebate dollars and will probably use the Shell panels. just make sure you follow the rebate guidelines to the letter ( proper permits, signed off interconnect with your utility and installed by a master electrician or solar installer current and ceritifed by the state of florida) otherwise you'll be out the 20K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:06 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Thanks for the info, and quick response. I think I will go with Shell, at least they have a proven track record.

Actually the Evergreen B modules have the full 25 year warranty and are UL listed for sale in the US. They have other modules for export only that are even cheaper.

I am planning on getting the rebate. I already have the permit and I have a state licensed electrical contractor who has agreed to do the install for me. I don't think the signed off interconnect is required for the rebate. You don't submitt it, and I didn't see a check box on the form where they verify that.

By the way, the fund is down to $1.1 million. The state sure makes it nerve wracking for the homeowner who can't risk being out $20k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:22 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Its been somewhat of a shell games with the "rules" always changing. At first they required FSEC to approve each system, after some lobbying, they dropped that requirement, but I know FSEC is NOT happy about that

The wording is a system must meet the state interconnect requirements and the application does ask for the electric company that your connecting to, I'm pretty sure DEP will contact the electric company to make sure your hooked up and legal

You can contact Jim.Tatum@dep.state.fl.us to clairy anything, but don't just assume you don't have to be legal with your power company. In Orlando, I pretty sure they DON'T do net metering and will have to have dual meters and only get the wholesale rate on power sent into the grid

Here in Lakeland, they do have net metering, I was the first residentional system, online in 2002 and it was a struggle to get the agreement done. Things like liability insurance requirements can cost more than the energy value sent back.

Talk with the DEP, talk with your city and town for permiting and talk with your electric company. Failure to do this could forfit your getting the 20K

Also, master electricians around here know nothing about gridtie or UL1741/NEC 690 and have never see or installed solar electic systems. If your master electrican is a "buddy" letting you do the install, be warned, it can be ugly getting your system corrected for proper installation. Another area that can be a real hassel is the panel mounting .. if your putting them on your roof, you will need a PE engineer to evaluate you roof loading and tie down methods. With the upgraded hurricane codes, it can be a challenge to meet the uplift load on a roof for 110mph. Going with ground mounts is better, for this and peformance reasons.

In general, rebate programs have processes, rules that are to make sure the state dollars go into professional installed, permited and legally interconnected systems. Miss to dot and "i" or cross a "t" and you might be on the hook for 20K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:20 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I always planned on getting the agreement. I downloaded the agreement form from FPL and it doesn't look that bad. Only requires $100k liability insurance. My FPL meter doesn't record backward, so without the agreement I can't even get the wholesale rate.

I don't plan on selling much back, seems to me the solar generation curve matches my usage curve, so I hope to just offset my bill. I can't believe they didn't include state wide net metering in the energy bill. I think if they were really serious about renewable energy, there are a few important issues they left out of the bill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:40 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

last I heard, FPL when contacted will make you get dual meters. If you run with your single meter, energy going into the grid will be recorded as energy used, so not only do you lose the energy, but you PAY for it on the bill as energy used.

With a 5kw system, you will have alot of energy going into the grid when your AC cycles off, so figure about 1/3rd to 1/2 goes into the grid as your load goes up and down durring the day. With Net metering this is transparent, with dual meters, you get 2.8 cents for giving, 11 cents for getting.

You should be VERY thankfull we have anything solar here in Florida, 4 dollars/watt is one of the highest rebates in the country. It was my legislator ( Paula Dockery ) who got the bill passed ( #808 ), and it only passed as it was seen by thoses that mater as being a works program for FSEC, and FSEC has ALLOT of pull in the State Senate. Since DEP is now not making all systems be FSEC approved, I have a feeling this program will be admended once again ... we shall see.

As for Net Metering, there is no local lobby group to do what it takes to push something thru the legistors. They get LOTS of dollars and support from the industry groups ( like utility companys ), so the only way it will change is by an equilivant grass root group to push for what they want. In the past 5 years, except for Paula, I haven't met one person that even seemed remotely interested in Solar/Netmetering

Sorry, this isn't a rant, it just what the state of things are. It will only change if there is people/momentum/dollars. I'm OK as just by luck, City Of Lakeland has been into renewable energy for many years, its a local, city run deal, not a for profit at all costs mega corporation like FLP

Good luck!