Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:48 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to increase panel manufacturing output
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:51 pm GMT EthGMT 
OK dumb question 1.

If there is such a demand for solar panels and the will be increased demand in the future, why aren't more manufacturers getting into the game?

Dumb questions 2.

What would be the optimal manufacturing envirnment for starting a new shop to build these things? Lots of clean water etc? Lots of start up cash? Lots of brain-power?

How would a dummy like me get started building these in sunny Colorado?

Cheers,
SJVISTA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:30 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Quote:
If there is such a demand for solar panels and the will be increased demand in the future, why aren't more manufacturers getting into the game?

There are lots of big name companys

BP, Sharp, Kyocera, Sanyo, Shell, Photowatt just to name a few. There are also lots of new names getting into the game.

Quote:
What would be the optimal manufacturing envirnment for starting a new shop to build these things? Lots of clean water etc? Lots of start up cash? Lots of brain-power?

There is ample monies being invested in the manufacturing end, the constraints are all on the feedstock and that requires investments in the billons ... hence the few companys doing this are going to make damn sure they get a good return on there investment

Quote:
How would a dummy like me get started building these in sunny Colorado?

Make a busness plan, do an IPO and raise 2-4 billon (Hey if google can do it :roll: :roll: ) and hire lots of phd's, build all new factories and then be Jonny came lately to the party as about 10 multinationals are way ahead of you

Personally, for return on investment, wind power is looking much better on the utility scale and where the big bucks will go in the next decade. For the US, Coal will be our next "fix" , I don't see solar being wide scale ( greater than 1% in the US ) in my life time. For other parts of the world it will be a much bigger player as many countrys have no large deposits of oil/coal ect. Spain is a good example and there will be many others to follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:54 am GMT EthGMT 
Dameslfish
Dameslfish

Quote:
Personally, for return on investment, wind power is looking much better on the utility scale and where the big bucks will go in the next decade. For the US, Coal will be our next "fix" , I don't see solar being wide scale ( greater than 1% in the US ) in my life time. For other parts of the world it will be a much bigger player as many countrys have no large deposits of oil/coal ect. Spain is a good example and there will be many others to follow.

Vestas is a european company that is having China manufacture 100+ meter blades for their 4-5megawatt turbines (tho they appear to be having trouble making money there are other wind companies)
I am not allowed a wind turbine because if it fell down it would not stay on my property etc etc.
(sustainablebusiness.com for more info or http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com/as ... iness.html

FPL, (Florida Power & Light) is doing stuff with wind

Post subject: I know my future
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:35 pm GMT EthGMT 
Make a busness plan, do an IPO and raise 2-4 billon (Hey if google can do it Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ) and hire lots of phd's, build all new factories.

This is the plan I will pursue. I'oll let you know when I'm ready to hire.

What would be a good catchy name?