Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:38 pm GMT ErdGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IOTA ITS-30R Transfer switch
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:23 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

I have a Prosine 2.0 which will allow me to set the low voltage shutdown. I plan to set the low voltage shutdown on the inverter to 12.1 volts and hook it as the primary input on the transfer switch and hook the Grid as the backup. What I am trying to do is get the most out of the solar setup without going GT.

I guess my questions (not in the ITS-30R owners manual) are how many amps does this thing use while the contacts are energized, being the inverter will be holding them closed all the time?

Second question is how hard on the Prosine will this be having it to shutdown a couple of times a week? I don't think this will happen too often being the battery bank (1170 AH) hardly ever gets this low.

Any tips or pointers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:36 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

I have to imagine that having a "power failure" a few times a week (or month) would get a little old after awhile...

I am a little confused, it appears that the ProSine has its own internal transfer switch (1 cycle switch over). So, are you planing on connecting this to your AC mains so that the ProSine can do the switch over... Or are you planning on a DC only connection and just manually switching?

The ProSine has an internal battery charger too, so that, will affect how you connect and program it too (I assume--I don't have any direct experience with these type of units).

If you use the internal transfer switch, then there should be no electrical problems that would cause early life failures.

If you are going to manual switch the loads back and forth (grid/inverter)--there is will definitely be a slightly greater chance of your electronic appliances (computers, laser printers, etc.) failing slightly quicker than otherwise due to startup surges--However, I am not sure that I would worry much about any standard appliances/computers.

Now, regarding data storage (PC's, etc.), I have found that UPS's (Uninteruptable Power Supplies with even 1/2 cycle switching) that switch between the inverter and the mains (vs those units that constantly converter--basically AC to DC battery to back to inverted AC) that many computers will hickup and crash about 10% or so of the time on electronic switch-overs.

So, if you are running a PC on this system, I would use a local UPS or connect the PC to grid power (assuming that it is more reliable than your ProSine power) instead.

Lastly, Arkansas has Net Metering available...

http://www.dsireusa.org/library/includes/map.cfm?State=AR&CurrentPageId=1&RE=1&EE=0

Currently, it appears that it is only net over a 1 month period (verses the 1 year period in many other states)...

Just connecting your system as a Grid Tied system with battery backup would probably be more efficient, save on battery maintenance/wear, and only cost you the price of a Grid Tie inverter...

There are other units (Like the Xantex SW series--if I recall correctly--I am not the expert here) that can connect Solar/Wind/Batteries/Inverters/Grid Tie all into one system. But I am not sure that the additional costs/complexity are worth it if you have reliable, cheap, and net metered grid power...

-Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:29 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

If you think about it what I have planed is the same as a gridtie but I just don't turn their meter backwards. I use grid power when needed but run off solar the rest of the time.

The idea is to use the Grid as a backup not the other way around. The Prosine is currently hard wired to the grid but I keep the grid power turned off to the Prosine. How a Prosine and SW works is it will use grid power and if the grid goes down it will use the inverter and batteries for backup power. I want to use it the other way around.

So the plan is to not connect the grid to the AC input of the Prosine. Use the AC transfer switch on the out bound AC inverter wires with the grid as a backup for the inverter hooked to the transfer switch. Charging the Battery bank from the grid is like running a large electric heater. The prosine can be set to shut down at any battery voltage and will come back on when it reaches 12.5 volts. This way I could use all the power from solar power and only use the grid if needed. I would as well not be giveing the Grid FREE electric either. If you read the net metering for arkansas they will only pay you for what you use and charge you for the hookup and inspections. Plus they get FREE electric from me. Just puts a bad taste my mouth to think about it.

So I was just wondering how rough will this be on the Prosine for it to do a low voltage shutdown from time to time. I'm just guessing but I think not very. If you think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:16 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Just wanted to post an update,

I got the switch installed a week ago. It has been working great. I have seen it switch a couple of times back to the grid because the microwave pulls hard enough on startup to cause the voltage to drop and shut down the inverter. This has only happened when both tv sets and dish network, two fans, computer and a nightlight are running at night. It has not shut down while the sun has been up. Might mean I need to inlarge the battery cables. In the past I was only harvesting from 2.2 KWH, to 3.1 KWHs a day (normally 2.2) and now I see 4.1 to 4.5 KWHs daily. I have been checking the battery voltage in the mornings and have never seen it below 12.3 volts.

So this addes up pretty quick 2.2 KWHs for 30 days is 66 KWHs and 4.1 KWHs for 30 days is 123 KWHs. A gain of 57 KWHs a month or about 2 KWHs per day gain.

I went out to make my normal checks this morning and noticed the MX60 was in EQ mode and the panels just did not have the power to run everything momma was putting on it in the house and do the EQ at the same time. So I clicked off the breaker on the inverter and it auto switched to grid power and I was the onlyone who even knew it happened. Sure seems like a great investment of 55 dollars to me. I will for sure use one of these switches on every inverter I buy from this point on.