Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:22 pm GMT ErdGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: is there a grid ti inverter accomadating both wind and sun?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:39 pm GMT EthGMT 
i am interested if a wind generator wired into a solar array will adjust the voltage problems needed to make ,say-an stxr2500 trac properly.this is probably a stupid question ,i am sure it has been put out there before ,so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:01 pm GMT EstGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Wind and Solar have very different profiles (The voltage and current).

The only gridtie wind inverter is the windyboy by sma , which is a sunnyboy 2500 with special software. The windyboy though only works with a single wind unit as it needs 300VDC ... (most are 12 - 48VDC)

The Suntie or any other 48 volt unit are design to track power from solar panels and won't do well hooked to a wind power source.

Post subject: another wind/solar question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:25 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

:)Hello I am a newbie at thist stuff. I just ordered a STXR1500 and am going to be getting 4 panels soon to start out. I am going to add more later on but just want to get this thing going with 4 Kyocera KC120. Is that a good choice? I also am thinking of getting a wind generator. So basically I would need ANOTHER inverter for the wind generator? I thought some of the wind generators provide 48dc and could be hooked to one of the lines on the existing inverter?

Thanks,
Adiel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:44 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

I assume you got one of the cheap 1500's off ebay ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Good deal , if you didn't , cancel your order and with the savings get some more panels

KC-120's are fine , you'll be gettnig about 300-350 watts peak , and yes it's a good starter system

If you find a 48 Volt Wind Generator DON"T directly connect to the Suntie , bad things might happen. If for grins and chuckles you want to see what happens , use a blocking dioide and if the output is no to varible , it might add a little to the panel output

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:14 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Yeah I THINK I got a pretty good deal on the inverter. It is a ST1500 refurbished unit that has been upgrade to XR. (Not sure what that means to me) I am not sure about the condition of this refurbished unit so I am hoping that when they refurbished it that they did not leave any "defective" components in it.

So I guess my idea of using the same inverter for the wind generator is out of the question. Do you know if they have any "adapter" to use it on the same inverter? If not I guess I will need a separate inverter for the wind generator. The point is I want to generate electricity in the daytime and at night time. :D

Thanks,
Adiel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:51 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

You want the -UPG , an XR is NOT a -UPG.

If you havent taken possion of the older XR , DON'T BUY IT !!!

The unit will be sticked as a UPG , date of manufacture should be after March of 2003 or if older proof it has been fully upgraded (would carry 5 year warrenty and display rev 5.0 when the unit is powered on)

ST and XR models arent worth 100 bucks with UPG's being sold so cheap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:02 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Do you know if that inverter on ebay that you linked above is, indeed, the "good" one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:37 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

I Know for a fact the 2500 watt ones are , just give them a call and verify they are upg models before you purchase

The other 1500 on ebay , I contacted the seller and he verified it was an upgraded unit ... where ever you buy , have them verify the date of manufacure and if its before March 2003 , demand paperwork showing it went thru the Xantrex Upgrade program or get it in writing that they will refund yuor $$ including shipping if it's not

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:53 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

Thanks Solar Guppy, I tried loading it up last night to see If I get the "Version 5.0" message. I connected 240ac to it and it did not do anything. It did not display anything in the lcd. I guess I need to hook up at least 50vdc of solar panels for it to even start up? Anyways I also noticed it has a plastic cover on the metal that goes over the lcd..I think you had mentioned something about that being part of the upg. The last thing I noticed, it does not have multiple connectors for the pv array. It just has one connector with no fuses...I guess this is how the st1500 is?

Thanks,
Adiel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:56 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

If your missing the combinor board its not a UPG , all newer Sunties have the combinor board. Part of the upgrade was installing a new combinor board

You only need about 24 volts dc for the CPU to wake up ... good luck