Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:18 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kwh
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:23 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

If i use 30 kwh a day 939 a month how many watts in solar would i need it get it to zero.
This will also give me an idea how much energy use i need to cut down on.

Last edited by loobosh on Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:04 pm GMT ErdGMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:34 pm GMT ErdGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

30 kWr month, here in florida , NO WAY

I'm assuming you mean 30 kWh day, and even that is low. Your AC unit alone is about 6kWh. So if you run it for 5 hours A MONTH, you have busted your 30 kWh budget

As for a system to handle 30 kWh/day, this is easy to figure as my system averages 30 kWh/ day over the year.

I have a total of 7900 watts of PV, two 3200 watt systems and a 1500 watt system

My Next Door Neighbor uses about 90 kWr/day , I use about 60 kWr/day about half of which the PV system supplies

Post subject: standoffs
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:06 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

I am planing to use 13" standoffs on my roof in other words the panels will be 13 inches above the roof on my shed out back 26'x12'.
Also i need to have the first row overhang the roof edge by 1 foot panels are 26" x 6 panels = 156" does anyone see a problem doing this.
I want to be able to crawl under the panels if there is a problem with the roof or panels.
Planing 4500 watts i have 2640 now will get more in time if anyone has some shell sm 110 watt they do not need let me know lobooshatyahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:44 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

I would suggest up nix the high stand offs, there is no way you will beable to crawl and work on the panels, you need enough room to move your arms and 13" won't cut it. You will also get into uplift issues on the roof as the panels will be a secondard wing at that height.

I suspect you haven't had a PE or the building department sign-off on your overhang as well, any type of high winds will destroy or rip the panels off the mounts being exposed and unprotected. It could even rip the roof apart if the mounts hold as its an added uplift load the orignal roof wasn't designed to handle.

My PE required I double up the mounts on the panels that meet the roof edges as the lifting force is 3-4X more at the edges than even a few feet inward.

My thoughts are your added array would be easier to maintain and not get into building code issues if you just make ground mounts, If I ever build a third system :shock: I'm sticking to ground mounts, working on the roof trouble shooting sucks and even if you can get under the panels, the hardware is near impossible to get to, to replace/repair them