Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:19 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mounting Racks for Sharp ND-200U1 ??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:54 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I have a few of these panels that I need to add to my system. I've thought about using unistrut but I can't find all of the hardware to make it a neat, tidy and strong installation.

I've thought about using wood beams, however, I know that if they warp, they will put pressure on the panels and perhaps damage them.

For comparison sake, I've tried to find commercial mounting solutions but I can't find any literature that shows options for these larger sharp panels.

I intend to ground mount them....or side of wall mount them.

http://solar.sharpusa.com/files/sol_dow_200W_SS.pdf

If any one has any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

Ernie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:32 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

You might read the "PV Racking Systems" topic in this section. You can get pretty much what you need from Lowes or Home Depot. My panels staied put through a very heavy storm last week. People as close as a mile away lost their whole house and many roofs was taken off. I have holes in my north wall and my battery building looks like someone shot it about 500 times with buckshot. The panels look great and are still setting right there on my lowes brand do it yourself ground mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:08 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Well your options are endless and it is only limited by your abilities to fabricate things

My first system, I used close-out hurricane channels from Lowes. You can see pictures of both of my systems clicking http://www.solar-guppy.com/pictures.htm <- here

If you want ground mount you should stay with metal and unistrut is at all of the home supply centers, usually in the electrical supply area as are the slip nuts which is all you should need.

I have never used manufactured mounts, so I cannot offer advise on what brand is best or the value. What I have looked at seems to cost more than the panels, so This is why I built my own racks, as have others.

One SG user (Mark Lopez) built this for his sharp panels, maybe something like this will give you ideas

Attachments:
File comment: Home Made mounts for sharp panels
mark2.jpg
mark2.jpg [ 280.25 KiB | Viewed 3411 times ]
File comment: Tilts as well to minimize shading issues in the winter months (away from the house)
mark1.jpg
mark1.jpg [ 196.59 KiB | Viewed 3360 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:49 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

I like the looks of that setup. Very clean. I might even fix moma a garden spot out there by the panels after seeing that. However I tried that style and I was trying to adjust the tilt alone and end up with two pins holding my thunb together because the wind blew and flipped the panels up. I have pictures of the damage to my thumb if anyone wants to see :roll: . I was trying to hold the panels with my back and sholder and they went up not down mashing my thumb between the pole and the frame of the panel. With no one around I got lucky and got loose and drove myself to the doctor. Safety first.