Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:03 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:58 am GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

I am in the process of trying to go solar, but can't decide between a gridtie system or storage batteries. I've got a family of 4 and live in a 1250 sq. ft. 2-story brick home in a fairly densely populated suburb.

My roof is south facing and has no obstructions. I have yet to make any significant purchases, but I am really motivated to have a system up and running before the end of summer.

My concern is in having a gridtie system is that in case the power goes out, I will have no backup.

With a battery system I would look at it to supply mainly our water heater, washer/dryer, and kitchen. It would also be great to have power in case of any blackouts.

But with whatever system I decide on, I want it to be a building block to further improvements. A lot of people I've talked to are selling or upgrading their systems, and I don't want to have an obsolete system before I get it up and running.

Any suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:42 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

What state are you in, and do you get a rebate?

Rebates often don't apply to a battery backup system, leaving only grid-tie.

Battery backup has more maintenance to deal with too, and a space to legally store the battery bank. It's also less efficient system, but if you are not cycling the batteries daily, that may not affect your solar harvest.

You could install a smallish grid-tie system, using only half your roof, and then later, install the grid-tie/standby system on the other half.

With my gridtie system, I have plans in place to yank the DC wires off the inverter, and brute force charge a string of car batteries, for lighting only.

If you are in an urban area, how long have past blackouts lasted, hours or days/ weeks ??

detaro wrote:
With a battery system I would look at it to supply mainly our water heater,

PV electric for water heater is a nasty waste of expensive PV cells. Get and install 24/7, a solar water heater to preheat your hot water. fast payback & less cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:53 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

there is a such thing as battery backed grid tie. it's not quite as efficient as batteryless grid tie though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:26 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

The New Xantrex WX-6048 inverter is almost as efficient as the GT .. close to a peak of 94%, about 5% better than anything else on the market

You do have to add the Charge controller and minor battery float tar losses but the WX is darn close to the perfect have your cake and eat it too

Attachments:
File comment: From Xantrex XW manual
XW1.PNG
XW1.PNG [ 18.14 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]

Post subject: Great Answers!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:31 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Hey, great help guys!

I live in Ohio in Columbus. And everyone I am asking about going solar looks at me like i have a three-eyed fish, (like guppy). The amount of natural resources available here, (ie, oderate climate, great farming, and abundance of rain). Is going completely wasted by most of the Ohioans who've lived their entire lives here.
There are 4 solar installers in the state of Ohio, and the closest one is 60 miles away. And I live in Columbus, the capital of the State!

Go Figure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:28 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

We in Ohio don't have much in the way of incentives to move to renewable energy. A good resource is http://www.greenenergyohio.org/

There is an ELF grant that is usually dispersed by the time it is posted. It favors business over residential applications AND there is a strict limit on residential max kW usage which eliminates any who heat water electrically (unless your house is Energy Star certified). There is also a subsidized interest program (only on a loan's interest). The ELF can viewed http://www.odod.state.oh.us/cms/uploade ... FA0703.pdf

If you are thinking of adding wind power to your system, it would be better to go grid-tie with batteries. Most solar only grid-tie inverters work at a much higher voltages than 99% of wind turbines.

Post subject: Great Help!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:05 pm GMT EthGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Thanks for all those who replied. To try to answer some of the questions that were presented: 1. We have had blackouts lasting one to two days max in my area due to severe weather conditions or serious summer usage. Therefore I think I'm looking at a GT with battery back up. I have a company coming out to do a estimate.

The initial price information for a GT system w/battery back-up is $15/kw for a 3 kW system.

Let me know if this sounds in-line with what the solar friendly states are paying.

Also I am looking for reputable installers for central Ohio if anyone has any ideas.

thanks again,

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:18 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

45K is alot of money! ...

One can get panels at www.sunelec.com for 3.58 watt

A Outback GTFX3048 is about 1700.00

A Outback MX60 is about 480.00

I just bought 200ah@48V of agms for 1200.00

So that puts the basics @ 15k ...

Of course there are BOS ( balance of systems parts , mounts, breakers wiring ect ) but 45K - 15K leaves 31K to cover everything and your looking at about 2 days labor ( full crew ) to do a roof mounted system

Hope this helps

Post subject: Thanks Solar Guppy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:02 pm GMT EstGMT 
Fish Eggs
Fish Eggs

Yes! That helps a lot. I am doing some more shopping around and another installer who is certified for the state of Ohio in my area is about 30% less.

I also talked to the city engineer today for Grandview Heights (my area), and when I told him I was planning to install a photovoltaic system, there was a long pause, and I had thought he had hung up on me. It was quite humorous and it looks like I might be helping him learn along the way.

Anyway, I really appreciate the helpful link and all the pricing and inverter choices. My question is, if I average about 95 kW/hrs per month and want to have a GT w/ battery backup, would I need two inverters, (1 GT and 1 charger), or would a single specific unit do both? And if so would you recommend any specific.

Also, I am considering having the panels mounted on my carport instead of my roof. It actually has better exposure to the sun and the city board would be less concered about it's visual impact, (by the way, a wind turbine is totally out of the question, unless it can be disguised as a pine tree). My carport is separated from my home by about 50 ft. Does it make better sense to have the inverter closest to the array and then run the AC current across to the house? And what about the battery back-up? Home or in the garage?

I'm a pain, I know, but thanks in advance :wink:

Post subject: Re: Thanks Solar Guppy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:48 pm GMT EstGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

detaro wrote:
And what about the battery back-up? Home or in the garage?

I'd keep the batteries out of the house. Not sure about an attached garage, depends on which batteries you chose, Concern is hydrogen fumes, and acid spills.

Keep the low voltage wires (12 or 24v) short, as they carry a lot of current, and let the higher voltage of the inverter travel the longer distance, you loose less power that way.