Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:25 am GMT EthGMT 
120 acres, two lakes, and not a telephone or electricity pole for almost two miles... that was that catch ;-).
And then, of course, my lovely wife, upon seeing the property, said, "Gee, you know what would fit here *perfectly*? I've always wanted a real log home..."

So I had to learn how to do that, too ;-). It went well; we moved in over the Christmas holidays.

Something I was wondering, and I'll call your buddy and ask him; about the TC40s... with the actual blocking diode there (I bought two of them last night), do you need the charge controllers for anything else but organizing the load diversion? If that is the case, then I should be able to use the two Enermaxers I've got instead; it's what they're for, after all.

And yep, I'm not forgetting the disconnect. I'll probably have two, actually. One at the bottom of the tower, and a second one by the bank. From my industrial mechanic days, when working with "decent" amps, I like to be able to physically SEE the disconnect before playing with any wires ;-).
I've played with some gear that actually had that cool sign on it "USE LEFT HAND; TURN FACE AWAY" (in case the breaker explodes, it minimizes your loss...).

One thing I've wondered, though; the location of the load diversion with reagards to the blocking diode. If you want to protect the turbine, you would want diversion to take place on the turbine side of the diode, so if it blew, you wouldn't "deadend" the turbine; it could still produce amperage and have it diverted. I don't know how the C40s are configured, but when you install the *actual* physical blocking diode, as I said, you'd probably want it downstream from the diverter. I'll ask your buddy what he thinks!

And actually, the tower, the first time I went up, when I decommissioned the tower at it's previous location, yeah, it was a bit wild ;-). Up there, just this "little safety rope" (rated for 3000 pounds attached to my five point harness) to save me from falling...
The big moment is when you let go with both hands to bolt or unbolt something. That's *trust* ;-).
When I decom'd it, I took the genny off the stub tower, and took the stub down with the rest of the tower. When I put it back up, I had the genny attached to the stub, and lifted it *by the top of the stub tower*, and it was much easier, I think. No need to thread the shaft in, just mating two big, flat square surfaces! A thought for you, anyway.

The problem with rapelling down the tower is that it isn't a smooth surface, like a rock face. If your foot got caught in the lattice, you'd find yourself upside down in a hurry ;-).

Now, though, if you wanted to play, having a wire roller with you, so you could slide down one of the guy wires... ;-) JUST KIDDING!

I'll reply to your off-list message right now, with the location of the manual on my web page, and link some pics of my tower!

Thanks Kevin!

DJ