Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FishBowl improvements
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:21 pm GMT EthGMT 
A http server would be a nice feature, it would make it easy to access the data remotely or allow others to view it.

Maybe a SNMP server as well so users could easily pull data for logging and graphing with an external program like MRTG.

Today it seems everything is network enabled. I guess in an ideal world you'd have these features available via a dedicated hardware device that plugs into the RS232 that you can hookup to your TCP/IP network. As I understand, additonal hardware is already needed for isolation. I don't know what would be involved but you see this kind of network integration all the time with print servers, managed switches, etc. Might not be cost effective on a small scale.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:27 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Steve , Posting stuff twice won't make it higher on the possibilty list [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Windows applications are not my main line of work , Fishbowl was made to aide in my developement and I put in what was necessary to get the job done.

I have added the option to log data at intervals of less than once a second , since for the casual users , slower rates are fine for getting a good idea of the performance.

Http servers , graphing and such won't come from me ... you talking a fair amount of work for an update I am doing for free
[img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

The maui stuff looks nice , but you need to understand , they have a market of 50-60K inverters , the suntie total lifetime sales were 2-3k and doesn't make sense investing time for features that might have small market.

So, if there are simple improvements you want , like log formating and such thats fine. Everything else asked for can be done with winxp and excel ... I'm not a fan of reinventing the wheel.

Thanks for the input !!

Henry [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:30 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

Well, finally got around to adding the features, they are

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Cleaned up output formating , correcty tab delimited
<LI>support 8 comm ports
<LI>can select 1,2,4,15,60 second or only end of day interval on log data (disk)
<LI>seperate totals log , updated once a day
<LI>added english message decoding in log (instead of codes)
<LI> fixed bug that required program restart when changing comm ports.
</UL>

I'm running for the remainer of the week and will start to make some type of simple manual .. if you havent emailed yet wanting to be a beta tester for the verison 1.3b , please do so by the end of the week

Thanks for all the suggestions

Henry [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:01 pm GMT EthGMT 
Goldfish
Goldfish

Hi Henry,

Does the once a day log include peak power produced or time connected since that data is available already?

When logging at less than once a second, does it average the readings between the intervals or just snapshots at the interval rate?

Thanks,

Ron

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: Ron Schroeder ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:01 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
Quote:
Does the once a day log include peak power produced or time connected since that data is available already?

It looks like this:

Date AC Wh AC Peak Wh Time Online Lifetime Energy
4-28-2003 2625 1696 03:59:28 1105

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
Quote:
When logging at less than once a second, does it average the readings between the intervals or just snapshots at the interval rate?

Just a snapshot .. I don't see any point in added code to conditionally average .. if you want more detail , select a higher logging resolution.

One thing that is latched though , is the status code , which are now displayed as messages ... this way if your say logging at 15 second intervals .. and an error comes along in between (they are sent from the inverter , once a second) , it won't be lost. If you get multi errors though , only the first code is latched , but this shouldn't be an issue

Henry [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: Solar Guppy ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:39 pm GMT EthGMT 
Goldfish
Goldfish

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Solar Guppy:
It looks like this:

Date AC Wh AC Peak Wh Time Online Lifetime Energy
4-28-2003 2625 1696 03:59:28 1105

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: Solar Guppy ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img] I like it! Saves having to search for peak with Excel. I do like the two seperate files for the daily detail on one and the running end of day summary on the other.

Is the same data put at the end of the regular file too?

Thanks,

Ron

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: Ron Schroeder ]