Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:50 pm GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trace: Microsine 100 Question.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:30 pm GMT EthGMT 
I know that Trace/Xantrex was the North American distributor of the 100 watt synchronous inverter and that it originated from OKE in Europe. Does anyone know if it is still available and or if there are other products similar to that.. say in the 100 to 300 watt range?

Due to limited income, but high determination to get more energy independant, I can't exactly fork out a couple thousand (Canadian) for some of the larger units, although one day that may happen but not for many years. I have a hard enough time scrounging (and i'm a master scrounger heheh) up enough cash to buy a 75 watt panel each year to add to my system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:58 pm GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

The Trace Microsine aka OK4U was never UL1741 listed and is not legal for grid-intertie in the US.

I also believe the parent comapny in the netherlands no longer produces the unit.

The reason for NO inverter in the power range you desire is economic , the engineering and testing requirements to meet UL1741 (your talking 10's of thouands of dollars) could never be recouped in sales of units measured in the 10's of units

Your best bet is a Sunite on eBay , now about 400-500 dollars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:15 am GMT EthGMT 
Ok, thanks for the info! I have been asking around but haven't located any surplus units that anyone wanted to part with. I have also been hearing some growing complaints that they were prone to failure as well. One store here in Canada wanted $400 for the last one they had on the shelf. A little rich for my tastes. And the sales guy there told me that they have sold three of them to date to experimenters, and that one of them failed after only a couple of months. Then I read in some Home Power magazines about some guerilla solar (man, I love those articles) activists in Europe who were using them.

It had my interest piqued so I thought I would ask around.

Thanks again for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:07 am GMT EthGMT 
Goldfish
Goldfish

I think there was a very small number of units from Trace that actually had UL1741. I will have to check the ones that I have in my garage to be sure.

The ones labled OK4U not Trace absolutly were not UL1741.

Brookhaven National Lab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:54 am GMT EthGMT 
Red Cobra Delta Guppy
Red Cobra Delta Guppy

I know for a fact NONE of the Trace units ever had 1741 certification

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:42 pm GMT EndGMT 
Goldfish
Goldfish

I just dug out 2 of my MicroSine inverters. I don't know what standard they were tested at but they are both marked UL Listed 17DM. They were made in 1999.

They are cute little buggers. I have one of them set up as a little demo system with a couple of very old 40 watt panels and a single phase 120volt watt meter.

Brookhaven National Lab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:08 pm GMT EndGMT 
I have an OK4U-100 and OK485 data interface. The inverter, from 3rd quarter of 2000, only lists 'UL Listed 17DM'. The comm module lists it's identification but no standards info.

Does anyone need a spare? I have an orphan AE GC-1000 to play with now. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:03 pm GMT EthGMT 
Goldfish
Goldfish

From what I have been able to find out, the MicroSine inverters were tested and UL listed to the version of UL1741 that was current at the time of their manufacture. Changes in the standard made it un-economical to continue production to the newer standard. Some OK4U inverters were marked with a UL listing but they really did not have the legal authorization to mark that Trace had. There are minor differences between the MicroSine and the OK4U in both microcode and in testing.

Per NEC, the MicroSine is legal for grid tie but it may not be accepted by the utility. The MicroSine is just as legal as an SW of the same time period.

Brookhaven National Lab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:35 pm GMT EthGMT 
There are a batch of MS100s on eBay now - looks like six units.