Solar Guppy - All Things Solar Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:51 am GMT EthGMT

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xantrex: Wire size
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:05 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

What is the larges wire size that can be used on the output side of a SW Plus 4024 going to the utility panel?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:48 am GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

"Xantrex SW Plus Inverter/Charger User Guide" at http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/43/p/docs ... roduct.asp . Page 2-19. Does not say what the largest would be but the min is #6. Running 50 foot one way or 100 foot round trip you will loose 1.45 volts running the 4000 watt inverter at the full rated 33 amps at 118 volts. At 15 amps you would have a voltage drop of .662 volts. You should be good to go with a 50 amp breaker on #6 wire.

If you have an other size of wire or wire run you would like to know let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:46 pm GMT EthGMT 
Minnow
Minnow

On the older SW series with the set screw eyelets, #6 is as big as you can get into the tubular hole.

The SWplus's have a more conventional breaker box type screw down clamp that can take #4, although unless you have a very long run I would not see why you would use greater then #6. THHN #6 will handle the 60 amps maximum transfer throughput. For me, getting #6 through elbows in conduit is tough enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm GMT EthGMT 
Guppy
Guppy

it does not have to be a very long run of wire to have severe losses when high dc currents flow. if you have excel or a clone type excel program go here to download a voltage loss calculator that jon and i had jointly come up with. http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/voltage_dr ... lator_.xls
with all due respect for jon he did most of the work on the calculator as he did the work with the excel programing and was just given what to put into it primarilly by me. it works and even if you don't understand the program jon or i can explain it or do it for you for a given set of circumstances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:48 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

you can fit a #4 but it is a bear to bend around in there i dont see any reason to go bigger then a 6 either as it willhandle 60 amps and ac voltage drop is minimal so unless you are going 2-300 feet id say #6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:00 pm GMT EthGMT 
Catfish
Catfish

A person can always hook a #6 wire to the inverter and step up to #4 for the long runs.